Metal bending brake: Layout 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal bending brake: Layout 3

As promised, I am back with some more pictures of our metal bending brake project. Today we will be focusing on the clamping leaf. Which is the part on drawing # 5. The first picture you will see is of the actual part. The one difference that you will notice from the drawing and my completed part is that I clipped the corners off the front edge of the part. The reason this isn t on the drawing is because it isn t really neccessary, I just just think it looks better. To clip the corners I just measured in a 1/2" a long both edges and marked it. Then connected these marks with a diagonal line . then cut it. I hope explaining this didn t offend anyone. I don t know everyones layout skill level. So to be as helpful as posible I went ahead and explained the layout.

Also, I know I ve stated this in a past post, but this part was made from a peice 3/8" X 3 1/2" flat bar because I didn t have the proper material in stock. This is a scrap metal project so 3" to 5 " flat bar will work for this part. However the wider the material you use for this part the more you limit yourself on the potential parts that you can make. Personally, I would use either the recommend 3" or the 3 1/2" like I am presently using. anyway, here is the first picture.

Almost forgot to mention that there will be 4 pictures posted on this containing different info with each one.
    Last edited by Dan; 09-23-2002, 03:50 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

The second photo in this series shows you the modification that you need to do to the front of this part. This bevel is roughly around 45 degrees. You bevel this edge, because the 3/8" square shoulder wouldn t allow you to bend a part to 90 degrees or slightly beyond 90 degrees. Notice that you DO NOT bevel the edge down to a point. Leave yourself about a 1/16" to 1/8" land. Maybe it would be better to state that you should leave about a 1/16" to 1/8" of the factory edge. I prefer to leave about a 1/16". By leaving this edge you have a nice straight edge to line up your bend line on. Besides the fact that if this was beveled to a sharp edge, the edge would just start rolling over after a couple of bends. So you know, depending how often you use this machine after 2 or 3 years you may need to remake this part because of wear that occurs. After all the part is only made from mild steel. On the machine that I use at work I was able to get 3 years out of this part and that is when it is being used to bend stainless steel, which is alot harder material then mild steel.

Here is the picture.
    Last edited by Dan; 11-22-2002, 04:30 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

With the 3rd picture in this series, Im wanting to show you the relationship between the clamping leaf, and the 5" channel also known as the bed leaf. Plus too, I am introducing a stiffener that is welded on to the clamping leaf. This stiffener is nothing more than a peice of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2"X 3/16" X 5 1/2" angle iron. just center it length wise on the clamp leaf. And set it back about 3/8" - 1/2" from the top edge of the bevel. If your using a self shielded fluxcore wire to weld this project you might wait and put the bevel on the edge after you weld the stiffener on, so that you do not end up with a lot of spatter on the beveled edge. Actually, you could do this if your running solid wire too. If you choose to bevel the edge after welding the stiffener on, set the angle back 3/4" from the square edge of this flat bar peice.

Also, in this picture notice that the front edge of the clamping leaf is set back from the edge of the bed leaf. With the current dimensions that we are using this distance is an 1/8". This is the clearance that we need for bending 1/8" material. If this distance is less than a 1/8" you will not be able to bend a peice of flat bar to 90 degrees. It is perfectly ok for this distance to be slightly more than 1/8". It just increases the radius of your bend a little. If your worried about your layout skills I would make it slightly over an 1/8". Maybe a 1/64". How you do this is by slightly shortening the 1 3/8" dimension on the clamp leaf drawing, which should be drawing #5.

Ok, here is the picture.

PM 180C

Comment

This last picture is just a side view of the previous picture.

Without sounding to rude, I would like to state that I hope that at least one or two of you guys would please give this project a try so that my time spent on this isn t a waste.

Anyway, here is the picture. I hope you guys are finding this as entertaining as I am.

PM 180C

Comment

One more thing, tomorrow I will try to post some pictures of the last few pieces. Do to how tight my schedule is during my work week the welding part of this project will not take place until 9 - 27 & 9 - 28, which is friday and saturday of this week. Of course, I will include some pictures of the procedure.
          Last edited by Dan; 09-23-2002, 05:31 AM.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
            This last picture is just a side view of the previous picture.

Without sounding to rude, I would like to state that I hope that at least one or two of you guys would please give this project a try so that my time spent on this isn t a waste.

Anyway, here is the picture. I hope you guys are finding this as entertaining as I am.
            Dan, I will definately build one. I can really use it. Our tin shop is too far away and so is my Hossfeld. This will be great to keep in my tool box!

I, for one do appreciate your efforts.

Comment

HI DAN........ MY GUESS IS THAT A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARE FOLLOWING ALONG......MANY PEOPLE ONLY SURF AND DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS............ JUST LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE OPENED THEM UP....... I KNOW ROCKY D. AND I AREN'T THE ONLY ONES LOOKING.................. I'M THINK THAT SOME KIDS IN METAL SHOP COULD HANDLE ONE OF THESE AS A PROJECT...........PROABABLY HAVE A SHOP TEACHER OR 2 READING THIS AND THINKING YES I CAN HAVE THE KIDS DO THIS.........OR HOW ABOUT THE OFF ROADERS, AND THE HOT RODDERS........HAHAHA..........MANY PEOPLE WATCHING..... BE SAFE AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT........................ROCK
              [email protected]

Comment

I for one am building one. Gathering material right now and as soon as my dump truck project is finnished I'll be starting it. Thanks for all the effort Dan, sure there are lots of others building it too.
                Harold
                Craftsman Colormatic AC
                Victor Journyman Setup
                Syncrowave 180 SD
                MM210 With Spoolgun
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
                Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

I am going to try to build one also, Dan, so keep up the good work. And the pictures......worth a thousand words!

John

Comment

Working...
                  X