Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gde
    • Nov 2003

I have made a second job out of my hobby. It is still fun for me. I build whatever is asked me to build. I primarily build Jeep and other 4x4 parts and accesories( I go by "jackalope" on all other forums). A lot of roll cages and bumpers but also specialty one-offs for fuel injection too. In addition to the vehicles I build stuff for, I also build custom weight transfer components for a metrology lab as well as erecting wrought iron gates and fences. Pretty much whatever someone wants and wants to pay for...I build. This second income is paying for a brand new Chevy Duramax and new machine tools
    Not bad for a hobby.
    I will say that I have a 21 month old son and he comes first. I come home from my ''day'' job abd spend time with him before I head up to the shop. Family first no matter what!!
    http://jackalopefab.com/

Comment

• Hotfoot
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by weld55
      Becker, MN. Pretty nice out today. I worked in the garage for a while and didn't have to wait for the heater to warm things up. Do you work for yourself?
      Yup. Same here. Its 70 and sunny this morning, going up to 82 today. No heater needed in my shop!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

• weld55
        • Aug 2004

Thanks for all the good insight. I get kind of bummed out when the $ isn't coming in like I would hope, but I'll keep working at it. Things don't happen overnight. Knowing that other people out there have been able to make some $ doing it helps out a lot. I enjoy the work too. Well, I'll keep plugging away and I will keep you posted.

Comment

• Canoe2fish
          • Apr 2005

I used to do cash jobs a few years back. I got so busy with my home life that there was little time left for my own hobbies let alone time to do cash work. ( I always felt guilty keeping people waiting for months too.) Once the kids are grown or moved on, I may concider it again.
          For those who do cash jobs, keep in mind that you may get screwed if you aren't insured and you have an accident or damage someones property while doing a side job. You home insurance may not cover you in the event you burn down your garage or the likes. (This coming directly from my insurance agent after getting approval for storing my O/A set in my attached garage.) If I was to do it again, I would likely do smaller artisan work and sell it through established retail shops. If I got busy enough, I might concider opening up a small studio depending on zoning.
          Thermal Arc - Fabricator 210

Comment

Working...
          X