making pancake hoods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making pancake hoods

what are the pancake hoods made of, and where do you buy the supplies?

I used to make them from flip up burning goggles and fire blanket. You could use leather too.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

To get leather scraps, i cut pieces from old leather sofa's. (sniff first..)
      "Why do i ask such difficult questions? 'Cause i know the answers to the easy one's!"
      *****Heineken*****
      -any questions or discussions on 'gout' are welcome-

Comment

...so...ahhh...this would be wrong, then??...

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

"Uncle" Jemima...L
          "Why do i ask such difficult questions? 'Cause i know the answers to the easy one's!"
          *****Heineken*****
          -any questions or discussions on 'gout' are welcome-

Comment

An old school pancake is made with a block of balsa and fiberglass or kevlar or whatever you got. It is an art making one of these. I had a chance to make one but declined because I thought they weren't nearly as good as a 10# flip up . The guy that made them started with a roughly 4x4x6 piece of balsa. Our gas supplier got a 3' chunck of it for him so he had plenty for any one that wanted to make one. He made a basic face cutout with a skillsaw. I didn't watch this part but I guess he free handed the saw sideways to give a curved top and a curved bottom with a nose notch. It was pretty crude and just a rough out for basic shape with a small flat landing left on each side. Then he had each guy measure his own eye width. Just close your eyes and feel for the high spots with one hand then measure your fingers. Center this dimension in a 4x6 side and drill out 1" holes. Next use a coarse file to fit the balsa to your face. The holes that were drilled are like a gun sight. They help fit the block square with your face. So I do remember this vividly:

We were sitting around the shop drinking..um sodas and he is showing everybody how to fit these things and he says "Most guys like their masks pointed down a little because they naturally look down on what they are working on. Me I like mine looking up because I ocasionally nod off while burnin' a root and when I wake up I don't want to have to look around to see where I'm at." I really think he was serious.

Anyway fit the thing either square, lookin' down or lookin' up. After you get it fitted to your face then hollow out the rest of the block to a little smaller than the glass filter. Glue in some small tapped rods for attaching the face plate and side and yer done. It took the oldtimer about 3..ummm sodas to fit his and another 1 to hollow it out. Everyone else took days to shape and hollow. He smoothed it with sand paper and coated it with bees wax. The outside of the block he coated with wax and grinder dust. I would probably paint it but he's been doin' this for 50 years so....

This is all kinda second hand knowledge and the dimensions are guessed. No I didn't build one (wish I had) but I was in the shop when he did this. I have compared a balsa pancake to one of the new kevlar things and hands down there is no school like old school.
            d.
            I don't care what size, just hand me a wrench I'm gonna use it as a hammer.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a pancake good for?

-dath
              HH180

Comment

Originally posted by dath
                Forgive my ignorance, but what is a pancake good for?

-dath
                breakfast ! or if you are a boater, they make great fenders.

they keep extraneous light from reflecting off your filter as well as making seeing the joint easier because your eyeballs are always adjusted to the dark, you don't flip up a pancake all the time.

Comment

Can anyone post a picture of one of these things? I'm having a hard time imagining it.
                  Justin
                  If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

Comment

Originally posted by TOMWELDS
                    "Uncle" Jemima...L
                    Uncle Tom...
                    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Will this do?

Comment

Huh, interesting. I have already learned to hate the glare from the light getting into the back of my helmet, so fixing that problem alone would be nice, though it seems like some leather stitched to my helmet would do the trick there. Hmmmm...

-dath
                        HH180

Comment

Ok, I'm failing to see the usefulness. So it pretty much covers the whole face so you can only see through the eye piece, and no glare can come around it? Wouldn't a leather bib that draped down off a welding helmet do the same thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, you guys are all welding gods as far as I'm concerned. I'm just trying tp picture myself with a block of balsa strapped to my face. Seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.
                          Justin
                          If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

Comment

Well leather stiched to a hood to drape down the back of your head would keep glare out, but you would also get no air circulation, sweat would drip into your eyes, and it would get in the way when you have to lay on your back.

All pancake hoods are lighter than any regular hood so there is no neck strain after 10 or so hours of welding, and they stay put when you are having to constantly change positions since it is worn like a pair of goggles. You custom fit it to your face so if its uncomfortable its your fault. That being said they are not for every job, but they can't be beat for outdoors welding in 110 degree heat with the sun beating down and no shade to weld in.

Comment

A retail source for pancake hoods?

Interesting concept! Does anyone know of a retail source for such a hood?

"If you're going through ****...KEEP GOING!"
                              -Sir Winston Churchill
                              "I'm Gumby, dammit!"

Comment

Working...
                              X