Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a beer keg?

Guys,

I came across a beer keg floating in Puget Sound today, and my friend insisted on grabbing it to make it into a beer cooking pot. First of all, could this thing really be stainless (how can I tell)? It looks like stainless but seems like aluminum would be way cheaper (Annheiser Bush), and it is hard to tell what it is made out of. Second, anyone ever make a cooking kettle out of one of these? Third, is there a better use it could be put to (like a grill?).

Thanks!
    Chris

I want to say stainless steel just because of the fact they are used to store food products.
    Miller 210

Comment

Don't use it for anything food wise. Maybe you should send it to me for proper disposal. Just kidding. LOL My vote is for the grill. Check back a few pages and you will find someone who made a grill from a keg. Good luck with it.

Dennis
      Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
      Millermatic Challenger 172
      VictorO/A
      Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
      Esab PCM-875
      Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Yup, they're stainless. Can't you tell by the weight?

I have three that I use for my homebrewing, one for water kettle, one for mash tun, one for the brewing kettle. I'm not sure about using one for a grill since they aren't very heat conductive.

Comment

A quiet-running welding cooler!

If it's a 15 gallon stainless steel keg, you might use it in the fabrication of a quiet-running, light-duty, torch or plasma cutter cooler. Weld an outlet on the bottom, mount it in a cradle and hook it up to a used carbonator pump. Filled with 14 gallons of distilled water, it will serve as an excellent welding cooler for intermittent, home shop use. I made this kind of a cooler out of a 16 gallon steel drum, the interior of which I coated with epoxy paint. After an hour of stop-and-go welding, the 14 gallons of water in it would be warm but would still provide adequate torch cooling. I stopped using this cooler because of a heavy growth of algae in this unit - perhaps due to use of tap water with an improper epoxy paint. My present Lincoln water cooler works well but I wish that I had a very quiet-running unit. Of course, a cooler containing 14 gallons of water would not be a portable one. If we were closer, I'd trade you some stainless steel and aluminum sheet for the keg.

LarryL

Comment

Kegs are made from both aluminum and stainless.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Chris -- have you tried a magnet? While I know that a magnet is not 100% accurate because some stainless steels are nonmagnetic. But if it did stick, then you would know that it is not aluminum.

Comment

You could take a grinder to a noncritical part. If it sparks, it's probably stainless. Aluminum doesn't glow when it gets hot, hence, no sparks.

Asad

Comment

To tell you the truth, I'm a little embarrassed that I can't tell for certain if it is aluminum or stainless. But it IS heavy, and my guess is stainless. There are a few rust stains on it which are telling. Haven't tried the magnet...

Zrexxer -- I think you are right. I seem to recall that aluminum kegs are more bloated-looking than stainless ones. What do I know?

I think that end-use food may be transported in aluminum (e.g. beverage cans).

Liquidmantis -- yours sounds like the kind of setup my friend wants to put together. Any advice for him? I think he's starting with the kettle.

LarryL -- tempting. Might justify more tools.

Thanks, y'all.

Comment

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ad.php?t=14788
                    Ed Conley
                    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                    TA185
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    Miller 125c Plasma
                    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ghlight=cooker

You may have to join to view the thread but it's a good forum to join anyway
                      Ed Conley
                      Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      TA185
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      Miller 125c Plasma

Comment

Thanks, Broc'

Nice links! And all I need is yet another forum to waste time on.

Comment

Originally posted by 49degreesnorth
                          Thanks, Broc'

Nice links! And all I need is yet another forum to waste time on.
                          Call it research
                          Ed Conley
                          Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          TA185
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          Miller 125c Plasma

Comment

Take your pocket knife and try to carve a small piece from the keg. Aluminum is softer than stainless. Even the harder alloys.
                            Jim-bee

Comment

Originally posted by 49degreesnorth
                              Haven't tried the magnet...

Zrexxer -- I think you are right. I seem to recall that aluminum kegs are more bloated-looking than stainless ones.
                              The aluminum ones are often kind of barrel-shaped, so yeah, you could say bloated."

The magnet likely won't get you anywhere; food grade stainlesses are usually austenitic (300 series) and are nonmagnetic anyway.
                              Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Working...
                              X