New job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job?

Hi guys, I stumbled across this board this evening while looking for a new welder to replace my Miller but I'm also interested in the trade. Of those of you in the business, how is the market? Good or Bad? High demand or over saturated? I've been in the Ceramic Tile business for over 15 years and a Contractor over the last 10 and it's gettin old. I have my older Trans am's that I'm playing with (pre-81) and I'm really getting into alot of body panel replacements and so on. So, I'm just looking for some feedback from the guys (or gals) on the in and outs of the welding trade.

BTW.. great site and board!!

Thanks
    David

Wow!! I guess everybody here is looking for a job in the welding field too uh? You gotta keep your cards close in hand

Naw, I'm just messin' with you all. I enjoy working in the shop making the old look new again. Thought I would check it out with real life people before looking into the local Tech training for certification.

Thanks

Comment

Dave, I have seen some incredible growth over the last 5 years in the welding industry and I know that there is and will continue to be a severe shortage of high end/high quality welders. The kind of welder that is most in demand is one who can GTAW, SMAW and FCAW high pressure pipe or at least weld to that code or specification. Right now cross country gas line welders are in short supply also. If you have natural ability and strong work ethic you can make alot of money in this business. If you are willing to travel it is that much easier.
      Respectfully,
      Mike Sherman
      Shermans Welding

Comment

Mike, Dave, I would add ... you need to be in good shape for pipeline welding.

Comment

Most of the boilermakers in the area I'm in are to the point of retiring and young ones don't seem to be coming in. That's the way it is in this area anyway.

Toodles
          4-by Girl
          4wd trucks are my current life... along with my animals

"One day, 4wd trucks shall rule the world..."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've been researching now on and off for a year. Thanks again.

David

Comment

Working...
            X