First Welding Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Welding Project

This is a picture of my first attempt at welding. The hand rails were a blast and the table in the background came later. I did extensive research and talked to some professional welders for tips and instructions. All this was before I found this site. The material is 1 1/2" and 3/4" Rebar. I used Washington 7018 rods at about 90 amps. My machine is a Lincoln AC box but I have dreams of the MM251 or a multi-process machine. I'll send more pictures of some of the other projects I've done. Enjoy!
    Duke

Very nice, particularly for a first project.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Comment

This is the second project I tackled. The pipe is 6" Sch 40 and the decorative caps are from Lawler. Welding the cast iron was easier for me than the pipe. Yep they are heavy. Also made the mailbox stand.
      Duke

Comment

More

This is a bed my daughter designed. It's made from left over Rebar fro the handrails. The eyes are sections of pipe and the rest is plain ol' Rebar. I used 1 1/2 X 1/4 angle for the mounting brackets the the rails bolt to. For the finish I brushed and painted with self priming paint. You can see more projects at my web page.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...upid=65034&ck=
        Duke

Comment

Thanks Mike!

I think you actually gave given me advice on technique etc. that gave me the idea to take a shot at welding. It's a real boost to be able to talk to real welders and get their advice on projects and techniques. I just need a shop like Rocky D has now that I've seen the Taj Mahal. I guess you could say that YOU are responsible for my addiction to this arc and spark thing.
          Duke

Comment

Great looking projects.

Noticed a lot of barstock with nice cross hatch surface.

Comment

very nice work, did you do any grinding or smoothing on the rebar, I know sometimes it can have sharp edges ?

- jack

Comment

I ground the welds but not the stock. I used a wire brush to clean it with and primed and painted. That was one piece of advice from a profesional. "There's no mess a grinder can't fix"
                Duke

Comment

You done some real nice projects, there Duke, you can use my shop anytime. I really like the handrail. It'd stop an elephant. Again, nicely done.

Comment

Working...
                  X