Bending 14-16 gage metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending 14-16 gage metal

I would like to know what can I use to bend 14-16 gage metal. I notice a grill at a local Flea Market that I would like to recreate or modify, but I noticed that inorder to build something similar that I would need to bend the metal. Is there a bending brake for a novice like myself that I can build or puchase at a reasonable cost. Here is a link to the grill I would like to modify for my personal use( www.coastalenterprises.net). I feel that I can build this cheaper than I can purchase it for.

Thanks

There is a threadd at Google's welding forum that might be of interest to you:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...oining.welding

Comment

Morgan,

The $1,350 or the $649? The small one looks like you would need about a 4' sheet metal brake and the large one looks like more than 6'. I've been on the lookout for a 4' pan & box that will do 16 Ga. for a long time. Harbor freight has an import for around $400. If you're not planning to do a lot of sheet metal work you might consider getting a price from a sheet metal shop to furnish and bend the steel for the components that need to be bent. You furnish and do the rest. There is such a thing as using angle and clamping the piece you need to bend to a work bench. Clamp another piece of angle on the free edge and use leverage to make the bend. Your project looks a little big for that.

My 2-cents worth.

Dave
      "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

Morgan,

I looked at the grill again. Lot more welding but you could just piece it together. Try for a price from sheet metal place before going that route.

Dave
        "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

Morgan, many of us here participated in a project to make a bench brake. Dan gave us the plans and this type of brake made from scrap, can be made any length. Here's a link to the plans and pictures.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ighlight=brake

This is the one I made from Dan's plans. It's easy to make...one of the guys here took the written plans and made a MS Word file from it. You'll need that too.

HEY out there!...whose got that Word file of Dan's brake??
          Last edited by Rocky D; 03-23-2003, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Rocky D-Senior moment? No link.

Comment

Morgan,
              If you don't have any luck with a suitable brake you might want to look at making your grill out of an old oil tank. One of the folks that was in one of my welding classes made one with a minimal amount of bending. In fact, most of the work he had to do was cutting out the old piping and patching the holes. Most everything else was cutting out the lid and strenghthing the sides so it wouldn't wiggle too much.
              If your interested, email me and I'll try to jot down most of the steps that he took during the project.

Andy
              Navy Bomb Disposal-It's a BLAST!!

Comment

Having just had the pleasure of trying to brake some 14 gague steel on a 10 foot hand brake, I can pretty much assure you you want if not need a power press brake to fold that grill.
                It's my experience I can buy such fabrications pre rolled or folded for far less dollars than I can either do it myself, or weld around the needed bends.
                At least around me, most fab shops are happy to produce such items at a reasonable price as long as you don't want it yesterday, because they are fill in jobs.

Comment

here's a sheet metal brake a friend of mine made:

- jack

Comment

Working...
                  X