Aluminum repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum repair

Hi, Thank goodness I found this forum! I'm trying to weld the fin on my boats lower unit. I've tried 3/32 alum. rod with an old Hobart t-225, cleaned with ss brush, rev. polarity, not sure if welder is DC. Maybe that's the problem? I then tried 030 wire with argon, much better, but doesn't seem to melt in, just ***** up and constant birdnesting.The rod either sticks every time or no arc at all. Any help would be surely appreciated, I'm about to sink this ddaaammm thing!

What is your wirefeeder setup like?Sometime cast aluminum is not real easy to weld.You would not like my way to fix the problem.so I wont say a word.Alot of times mig welding aluminum with a cv power supply just does not melt in that good.On thicker aluminum cc works much better for the bite in factor.

Comment

I'm just a self taught welder, but anyway, I'm not sure what cv - cc is, setup is lincoln sp100, wire is fed from reel thru 6 - 7' metal liner, 030 tip, top amps and top speed. Is the old hobart ac or dc. It's probably 30 yrs. old! I'd rather try stick, but that's hopeless, unless my welder is only ac.

Comment

By the way, what was your solution? Housing cost's 900 bigun's

Comment

Mine is to use my power mig,I didn't think you would like that.CV is constant votatage,and CC is constant current like your hobart.It sounds like it is not spray-arcing the aluminum wire right.Make sure your gun is electrode positive also.Check for slipping drive rolls.I think those little migs are tough to weld aluminum.How thick are you trying to weld,and what is the type of wire you are using?4043 or 5356.

Comment

It is 4043 wire, the material is between 3/16 to 1/4''. When wire welding, it starts fine, then after a few seconds, arc quits, birdnest appears, wire seems to be hanging up 2-3'' back into cable, I have tough time pulling it back out! The info on the welding rods states easily maintained arc, but says DC rev polarity. Can I just reverse the polarity, or is possible that it is AC only welder?

Comment

I would have to guess that your SP-100 will not acheive the current needed to weld AL.
              Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
              The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

How about old Hobart t-225, can I use rod with that welder? Rev. polarity? Why do they make al rod, if it doesn't work?

Comment

MICHAEIN..............WHEN YOU WERE TRYING TO MIG IT YOU WERE USEING ARGON GAS CORRECT........... HOW OLD IS THE BOAT MOTOR CASTING.............HOW ABOUT CONTAMINATION........WATER ALGIE, OIL,........ALL CONTAMINANTS CAUSE POOR WELDS........BY THE WAY.......... WELCOME ABOARD.............. IF YOU COMPARE A HANDLER 135 AMP MACHINE TO YOUR SP100.........THE HANDLER CAN WELD UP TO 1/8 ALUMINUM...........SP100 MIGHT BE TO SMALL TO ACHIEVE CORRRECT AMPERAGE..............PLEASE ADVISE...........STICK WELDING SHOULD GIVE ADEQUATE AMPERAGE BUT MAY BE TO HOT FOR THE CAST ALUMINUM AND CAUSE CAVE IN AND BURN THRU............................LET US KNOW MANY ON THIS FORUM CAN HELP....................................ROCK...... ........
                  [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for info on the little sp100, purchased it long ago, before doing any homework on it. The last time I tried stick welding, I either stuck the rod or couldn't get an arc at all! It's 3/32 rod, tried it at various amps, no change! Aluminum is very clean, ss prep, do I need to hold the rod up with left hand as the arc occurs? It seems to suck it down quickly, I realize it is lighter than steel rod.

Comment

I would get a small roll of 5356 to try,it might make it work.Aluminum rod burns real fast.I would try the wire,and if that doesn't do it,Boat anchor time.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelN
                        I'm just a self taught welder, but anyway, I'm not sure what cv - cc is, setup is lincoln sp100, wire is fed from reel thru 6 - 7' metal liner, 030 tip, top amps and top speed. Is the old hobart ac or dc. It's probably 30 yrs. old! I'd rather try stick, but that's hopeless, unless my welder is only ac.
                        Sounds like the metal liner could be the problem. You really should be using a teflon liner for Aluminum.

Comment

aluminum

For aluminum you will have to change the liner, aluminum is very

soft. Almost like pushing a wet noodle, ( this helps make the

bird nest) The tension on the rolls can be hard to get right as

well. Too much pressure will squash the wire .

Comment

What size linner are you using? Steel wire is stiffer making it practical to push wire through over size linner. For aluminum must use right size liner perferably teflon liner. Pre heat aluminum can really help small mig welder handle aluminum.

Comment

Thank all of you for the tips, I tried the rod again, too **** difficult, I'll get teflon liner and roll of 5356, will post results.Should I rev. pol. on the mig.? I don't think theres any chance of burnthru!

Comment

Working...
                              X