X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harold
    replied
    Rock

Another view showing the box up on the cribbing.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    OOPS

Forgot the picture. Here it is

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Truck picture

Rock Here is a picture of the truck. It's a 1969 International dump. (single axil). The bed is raised on cribbing to allow safe work access.
    Harold

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Hardened 1/2" bolts coming up. Thanks Mike for all the advice and taking time to read these posts
    Harold

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sherman
    replied
    Harold, it won't hurt to bolt them as well as weld. A catastraphic failure like you had could have been avoided with a better design. Bolting as well as welding will help, particularly if you are not a professional welder with loads of experience. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Reply to Mike Sherman

Many many thanks Mike; I feel better already. The angle iron welded to the top was that way when I bought the truck this past June, I thought it was original and considered a part of the rail. Anyway the weld to that angle is the support for the tank and the weld on one side rail failed (also the tank to angle iron support was weld on the top only); it precipitated the disaster that followed. When I inspected the welds of the failed side the remnents of the weld on the angle iron were badly fractured throughout. One last question do you recommend I drill and bolt through the angle iron in addition to welding it? I plan to weld it tommorow (practice today as I did yesterday ) My welds look pretty good . I cut off sections and bent them severly with an anvil and a drilling hammer so I think they will hold. My new syncrowave 180 sure is nice and a pleasure to use.
    Harold

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    DUMP TRUCK...........HMMMMMMMM .......... LOOKS MORE LIKE A ROLL BACK TO ME, BUT I'M ONLY GUESSING AND HOW MANY AXLE'S ARE ON THIS.........?......ROCK.... [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sherman
    replied
    Harold, I think I now have a clear picture what you are doing. I will try to address all of your concerns at once, if I miss something write me I will address it. The frame rails to the truck state "Do not drill the flange" that is the top and bottom returns on the rail, not the large flat web. I see that someone has welded the angle iron to the top of the flange, that is also not exactly correct (it should have flanges welded to the outside that drop down over the outside of the rails and then be through bolted in the web), but since it is already done we won't discuss it. It appears that the welding you need to do is not on the actual frame rails but on the angle that has been added on top of them. If this is correct than you may weld away without concern. I would use E7018 that has been properly stored or flux cored wire. Use a good three pass fillet and weld it all the way around. If I am correct in that you are not welding on the original frame rails, than you can weld all the way around it and not worry about the stress lines in the rails. Do not use short circuit mig on this, it will probably fail if you do. There should be a good enough fit up on this one to weld all three passes with E7018. If not, try to get a better fit up. If a perfect fit up is not possible, you may fill any large gaps with the mig, but only the gap and then put your three pass over that. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    truck rails

This picture shows the pair of rails where the tank mounts. It is ready for installing the tank. I have a lot more pictures Mike but I don't think it would add anything to post them. If there is something specific that needs to be shown please let me know.
    Didn't really think when this new board was put up that i would be posting pictures but... Its a great plus for us beginers. I like it

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    truck rails

This picture shows the pair of rails where the tank mounts. It is ready for installing the tank. I have a lot more pictures Mike but I don't think it would add anything to post them. If there is something specific that needs to be shown please let me know.
    Didn't really think when this new board was put up that i would be posting pictures but... Its a great plus for us beginers. I like it

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    truck tank

This shows the tank and ram supports. It has been repaired and is ready to be installed between the rails. the long sides of the end caps are the only place it was welded; They go up.
    note these have been cleaned up but rusted a little waiting on me to deciede how to proceed. They will be givin a final cleaning befor installation.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Truck pictures

This photo is a closeup of the rails after the old weld was ground out. note the do not drill warning.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Truck pictures

Mike this shows the failed weld on the bed before it was cleaned up. Note the most sever damage occurred on the opposit side where it was literally torn loose.

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    Truck Rams

Picture of damaged rams. before being repaired

Leave a comment:

• harold
    replied
    photo

Mike this photo shows the damage to the tank and ram support. It mounts between the rails on the bed. Also the rails are marked do not drill any holes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X