question about welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about welds

I would like for you guys to take a look at my welds and tell me what you think. The welder is the Handler 135. The welds were done with the power on 3 and the wire speed on 30 with .030 flux core wire. The first picture is a weld on a 3/16" plate. I cut the weld in half to look at how deep the penetration was and I could not tell how deep the weld was.

So I found some 1/8" square tubing and welded a pass on it. I cut the metal in half and still could not tell how deep the weld had penetrated.

On the second piece of material I could really see the back of the plate get red, but it does not look like it penetrated very well, what do you guys think?

In order to see how deep the penetration is polish the edge of your cut piece and when it's nice and smooth, wipe it with muratic acid, that will make the weld stand out.

Comment

That looks quite good for that little machine and small wire. You obviously have travel speed and consistancy understood quite well.
      http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advice and the compliments on the welds. I have been practicing alot since I got this welder, trying different wire speeds and techniques and I think I have found a good combination. I just want to make sure that this technique is penetrating the metal good.

Thanks again,

Comment

Run some weld beads on actual joint designs. By running weld metal on the surface of your material as you are the weld metal doesn t really have any where to go so it is a poor way to tell how well you are doing. Weld some joints up form one side only then try to break the welds in your bench vise with a hammer.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan, when you break the welds in a vise what are you looking to see? I've been practicing overhead welds and have been trying to decipher how much penetration is happening with my mig.

- jack

Comment

Idealy you would like to pull a nugget out of the base metal, rather than have the weld bead itself break. However, the only best way is to test it like I outlined above. That said, I will say also if you can't break it with a hammer...then it's good. And we're talking a root bend here.

Comment

One time at Dow they went to a simple T joint with a fillet one side instead of the full pen groove they used to use. It was sposed to have a 6010 root, then a lo-hi pass and the 2 beads to make the last pass and this was on 3/8 plate. You coulda passed it with your foot. I came in all hung over in a pissy mood and when they wernt looking I use lo-hi on the root too. Just smoked it in there. The guy was kinda P/O when he back bend that thing and it didnt break,, ha The idea was to bust it open and see what was in there. They must have had it calulated just right to the point they would break cause all the rest of them did, except that one.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                X