Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david_r
    replied
    I'd have told you that there are lots of mini-bikes and carts out there made with that stufff. However, I'd not recommend it be used for a roll bar since I don't know if there is much material science behind it. Than again, maybe there are specifications for the mfg of it?

I'd have no problem using ERW tubing in the proper sizes. Search on SCCA, NHRA, CORE, etc. rollbars and see how many have to be made from DOM.

Funny thing about a rollbar is you don't actually know the exact application it'll be used in when it is used.

Leave a comment:

• hooohaa2
    replied
    Originally posted by david_r
    After re-reading hooohaa's post, I wonder if he's actually talking about EMT or rigid?
    Well, I was talking about EMT since it is much cheaper than rigid. How much different would the answers have been if I were talking about rigid?

Leave a comment:

• david_r
    replied
    After re-reading hooohaa's post, I wonder if he's actually talking about EMT or rigid?

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    A former girlfriend looked around my place and said "I see many creative uses for conduit" Lots of hangers and brackets and she really liked the towel holders from emt. I have built a LOT of stuff from it but frame parts of a buggy wouldnt be one of them.

Leave a comment:

• kevbo
    replied
    If you had something TOTALLY non-structural that was to be in the weather, then it might make sense.

I've seen it used as a frame for a tarp as a sunshade at flea markets and such....doesn't stand up to the first good gust of wind from what I've seen...but is easilly straightened or replaced when it breaks.

Leave a comment:

• david_r
    replied
    hooohaa,
    Check out the ERW tubing at your steel supplier. No galvanization to grind off and it should be cheaper than conduit. FYI, most racing the average joe could get into only requires ERW tubing for the roll cages and DOM started life as ERW before it got thinned and smoothed by a mandrel.

Leave a comment:

• TOMWELDS
    replied
    Im an electrician and i would not use EMT for a frame. If you look closely, you will see a seam in the tube that will open up with stress. the galv. doesnt help.

Leave a comment:

• MadMax
    replied
    Originally posted by hooohaa2
    Just a quick question, is EMT conduit anywhere near as strong as the sorts of tubing (of the same size and thickness) used on buggy cages etc (I believe it's called DOM tubing)? It is not terribly expensive, and I was thinking of doing a few projects using it in the 2-2.5" variety to get my feet wet in tubing notching with the old harbor freight chop saw. Just wondering how it compares.
    Umm, not sure, but if you're just practicing then go for it. I can almost 100% gaurantee that it isnt, as it is conduit. And you are correct about it being called DOM tubing. DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. It's just a better forming process, but is still mild steel. When people compare Mild to DOM, its really the same metal, but when they say 'mild' they mean ERW (electronic resistance welded).

Well then, sorry I went off topic. But yea, what kind of projects do you plan on doing?

-Max

Leave a comment:

• Timinmb
    replied
    Not at all comparable to DOM. I've made stuff out of it, but it splits, cracks and is brittle. Plus its galvanized. I sure as heck wouldn't build a roll cage out of it, unless there is some other kind than what I've fooled around with.

Leave a comment:

• hooohaa2
    started a topic using EMT as tubing

using EMT as tubing

Just a quick question, is EMT conduit anywhere near as strong as the sorts of tubing (of the same size and thickness) used on buggy cages etc (I believe it's called DOM tubing)? It is not terribly expensive, and I was thinking of doing a few projects using it in the 2-2.5" variety to get my feet wet in tubing notching with the old harbor freight chop saw. Just wondering how it compares.
Working...
X