No announcement yet.

using EMT as tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coating on emt is quite thin but I do try to keep my head out of the fumes. Just some basic precautios and you will be fine. A light fan blowig real gently will do the trick. I dont usually clean it but you can, maybe even a wire wheel on a bench grinder to take some of it off will help. Some brands have thicker coating than others.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

as an electrician/welder ide say dont use EMT pipe for a frame

it is way too weak

and its galvanized metal which is not good for welding as it makes deadly fumes when heated by the arc

Comment

moody,
        Just so you know, there is a difference between being dead and wishing you were. Zinc poisoning falls into the latter.

Darrel,
        You can get cold-galv compound to cover where you burn off the galvinizing. Beats painting the whole thing.
        Welcome. While visiting our fine country and taking tax-free advantage of our welfare state so that you can send money back to your home country who's government has realized it is easier to get this influx of US dollars than to improve their own economy, Brian would prefer that you try to learn the language. I agree.

Comment

I made some panels to go around the wife's garden boxes out of 3/4 emt. Made the frames and then tied checken wire to them. I found it a little easier to weld after grinding off the coating.

Comment

Thanks, real.
            - Darell
            HH190, Hypertherm Cutmaster 38, Lincoln Viking 3350 4C helmet, TurnPro 7x12 Horiz bandsaw. DeWalt portable bandsaw with SWAG stand

Comment

You don't weld to the galvanized, you burn through it. If you have roll bars on an open vehicle (old roadsters with a cloth top-like an open sun roof), put a metal sheet over the seat in case you roll on top of a post. Yes, it did happen.
              Jim-bee

Comment

I was told, if you do weld Galv., and get sick, to drink as much milk as you possibly can. I think it had something to do with something in the milk(not sure), getting rid of the zinc. I'm not 100% positive on this though.

-Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax
                  I was told, if you do weld Galv., and get sick, to drink as much milk as you possibly can. I think it had something to do with something in the milk(not sure), getting rid of the zinc. I'm not 100% positive on this though.

-Max.

Just pop a few codeines and forget your troubles.
                  "little" HH140

Comment

Originally posted by halay

Hello,
                    I am an electrician and use 3/4 EMT. It can be used anywhere as a strong conduit. Recently, I created a hammock stand with an EMT conduit. I would recommend it for buggy cages.
                    Obviously you know nothing about building roll cages for automotive use.... It is no where near thickness or correct diameters for any sanctioned racing event, and horrible suggestion for hobby automotive constructs... All sanctioning events I know of require DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) or Chromemoly tube....
                    Last edited by Hobart Expert; 08-11-2022, 08:01 AM. Reason: Removing link
                    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by halay
                      Hello, I am an electrician and blah blah blah.
                      No you aren't. You're just getting a spam link into a 15-yr old thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X