Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Dave Haak - lincoln stabalizers

Hey Dave...

I liked the idea of the Lincoln Stabilizers bending rig... got any other pictures and dimensions... like height and pipe diameters that are shown on your picture...

looks like a two man operation...unless it was secured to the floor someway... got any more details..

thanks

john
    My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

John.

I believe that's the only photo I have......I could take some closeups. The jigs were just made up from scrap. I was trying to get a wide range of diameters. The gap and angle of the post kind of depends on what shape/shapes you want to bend. The idea of the angle on the post is to be able to accept different shapes and thicknesses. Thinner just fits down lower in the gap. It is easily a one-man operation. When you start, just tap work piece into the gap to "wedge" it. I usually clamp the bottom of the jig in a portable vise (concrete in car rim). That way you can either turn the whole vise and base or loosen top part just below the vise and not move the base. If you have a long work piece and can't move the vise, just tap the work piece up, to loosen it and reposition it in the jig and continue bending. What I'd really like to have is a blacksmith's cone. They look like a dunce hat, sit on the floor and can be as tall as several feet. When you have completed a ring you can heat and finish on it. It takes out any flat spots and the diameter is infinite. Even without a cone it's easy to make a ring a slightly larger diameter than the jig.

Let me know if you want some closeups. I'll resurrect the original post so others can see what the heck we're talking about.

Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

John,

My e-mail indicates you posted a followup at 3:05 P.M. Ths date but I don't see the post??

Dave

Comment

Alright Dave now I'm curious. A farmers cone? How do you afix the metal to it before bending?
        It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Hey Dave,
          How do ya keep the portable vise from moving when you are bending? I like to make rings using my $50 ring roller. After I roll it out, I flatten it out on my anvil. They turn out well. I would like to get a blacksmith cone too. I would like to get a heavy duty ring roller. I did get a oven yesturday. It is a nice harvest gold. They wanted $20 more for a green one. Now, my powder coating setup is complete. I hope to try it out this weekend.

one more thing Dave, how is the eye doing? oooppss wrong Dave
          Art is dangerous!
          www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

AL T.,

It's a blacksmith's cone.

Once you have the ring formed and ends welded together you heat the ring, put it on the cone and tap it down, working your way around the cone. Any flat spots are removed, it makes the ring perfectly round.

Dave

Comment

ChadRat,

1. You're heating the round stock with oxy/acetylene so it wraps around the jig pretty easy. OK.....once in awhile you need to put some extra weight on the vise base or brace yourself against the vise handle.

2. I'm not familiar with what you are referring to as a "ring roller". How 'bout you explain or better yet post a pic with explanation. This sounds like something I need to have.

Most of the rings I form are in round stock, in the 1/4" to 5/8" dia. range.

I don't follow your comment ref. eye.

Dave

Comment

ChadRat,

OKOKOK...................I did HEAR about the eye thing. Week nights, I don't stay up too late. You know, early to bed, early to rise, early bird....worm.....you've heard all that.

ChadRat is referring to David Letterman.

Dave
                Last edited by Dave Haak; 02-28-2003, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Ring Roller

ChadRat

Where did you pick up that $50 ring roller. It sounds like something I might want to procure. Was it a purchase from a business or a local friend deal. The price sound right to me if you can bend all the way up to 5/8" round stock! Do you have any pictures of it?
                  Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I got my ring roller from Harbor Freight. 1/4" round is the max. I mostly use 1/4" round and 1" x 1/8" flat with it. If ya get one then make sure you take it apart and grease it really well. I am trying to figure out a way to rig up a digital dial caliper on it. That way I can go back at anytime and make the same size rings. Sometimes I like to take a 10' long piece of metal and see how many rings I can make at once.

HF ring roller

I would love to get one of those digial Eagle rollers. Anyone want to loan me $10,000?

Dave, I didn't even think of adding some heat to bend it. I do all my bending cold.
                    Art is dangerous!

Comment

Dave,
                      I get the picture now, Thanks!
                      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Ring Roller

ChadRat

Thanks for the heads up on that ring roller from HF. For the price I don't think I can pass it up Other than needing to grease it up got any other tips that might come in handy. I saw you wanted to use a digital dial caliper with the roller, would a dial indicator work for your purposes Have a good one
                        Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

a dial indicator might work. I don't know if it is too big or not. I am thinking just put a notch on the base and one on the pivot arm then use the dial caliper to measure the distance. The notches would allow you to take measurements from the same place each time.

The wheels are turning in my head on building a bigger ring roller. Just have to do a lil more research.
                          Art is dangerous!

Comment

Ring Roller

Originally posted by ChadRat
                            Hey Dave,
                            How do ya keep the portable vise from moving when you are bending? I like to make rings using my $50 ring roller. After I roll it out, I flatten it out on my anvil. They turn out well. I would like to get a blacksmith cone too. I would like to get a heavy duty ring roller. I did get a oven yesturday. It is a nice harvest gold. They wanted $20 more for a green one. Now, my powder coating setup is complete. I hope to try it out this weekend.

one more thing Dave, how is the eye doing? oooppss wrong Dave
                            I just ordered one of the Harbor Freight ring rollers you were talking about. How big of a circle will it roll out. I want to make a dollie for a 55 gallon drum, will it handle that.
                            Thanks Ron

Comment

Ron,
                              It should work well. I would use 1" x 1/8" flat.
                              Art is dangerous!

Comment

Working...
                              X