building bike project, need advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building bike project, need advice.

Okay, I'm adding a bar to the rear end of my bicycle. It will allow me to got completely vertical (see pic below). Now, i had build one before, but it was a bad design, and it bend under the stress(no real frame work), so Now I'm building another.

this one will use the rear drop outs on my bicycle as mounting points, so I can bolt them down with the same nut i use to hold the wheel on. Now I have an old BMX frame, so I plan on using the rear drop outs from that, and the two tubes that connected the rear drop outs to the seat post. In my included drawing, the U shape is the BMX drop out, and the striaght peice is the tubeing from the BMX frame. The A on the bottom is what i plan on adding to the BMX drop out. It will be constructed of some 1" sqaure tubing i have.

so, what would be the best way to weld this for maximum strength? I was thinking, I could just put the side of the square tubing onto he drop out and weld it, like the third pic. or should i notch the dropout and add the tubing their? like in the 4th pic?

thanks everyone!

the

here's pics three and four, looking much better

Comment

wheelie bar

What is the purpose of this? You could try and cut the lower and upper chain stays off the BMX and weld them onto the your upper and lower chain stays at a 80 degree angle. Then put a small 4" wheel in the new drop outs for a wheelie bar. This way you could ride it.
      HH135
      Victor 310, J-28 Torch Setup
      Thermal Arc 190S
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 Plasma
      Andy's Place

Comment

Well, I do plan on riding it, but it's called a "12 scrape" by motorcycle stunt riders. Basically, the whole point is to be completely vertical, make alot of sparks, and make alot of noise

I don't quite understand your explantion, any visual aids?

Comment

u crazy kids
          AmaC
          MM175
          O/A torches
          snap on everything

Comment

Bike Frame

Something like this
            HH135
            Thermal Arc 190S
            Andy's Place

Comment

Originally posted by abooker
              Something like this

AHHH i get it now. WEll, my frame and swingarm are Alu., and my BMX frame is steel, so i basically planned on making it like a bolt on.

anywho, which would be better? notching the dropout and sliding the tube in, or welding the side of the tube to the drop out?

Comment

this is the basic result i want, although i won't be able to scrape for as long, and he's not at complete 12

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=2880

Comment

bike

Is the drop out steel or aluminum on your bike? If aluminum you would have to weld a flange onto the steel tube for bolting.
                  HH135
                  Thermal Arc 190S
                  Andy's Place

Comment

Is the drop out steel or aluminum on your bike? If aluminum you would have to weld a flange onto the steel tube for bolting.

The dropout on my bike is aluminum, the dropout on the BMX bike are steel. SO i plan on bakting the BMX dropout, and makeing it look more like the second picture. then i can bolt it on and off the dropouts on my bike. so it's been a flange fo a while. you se, I"m using the BMX dropout as a flange, but i want to know which of these are stronger. notched, or welded to the side?

Is it stronger to notch the dropout, slide the tubing in the notch, and weld it, or to put the steel on the side of the BMX dropout,and weld it there, like in pic 3

Comment

drop out

side by side in my opinion
                      HH135
                      Thermal Arc 190S
                      Andy's Place

Comment

side by side in my opinion

I see, would you think that it's strong enough to support my weight, and the weight of the bike, dropping onto it?

Comment

weld

What size tube? length? Might need a brace to stop it from folding.
                          HH135
                          Thermal Arc 190S
                          Andy's Place

Comment

What size tube? length? Might need a brace to stop it from folding.

it's 16 gauge 1" sqaure tubing, prolly around 1 1/2 2 feet long tops.

I was thinking, i could build this entire thing out of 1/8th inch steel, so i might go ahead with that if i can get a ride.

Comment

Ok

Should work.
                              HH135
                              Thermal Arc 190S
                              Andy's Place

Comment

Working...
                              X