Use old gas bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use old gas bottles

I was at my welding supply store recently, the salesman had several bottles that have passed their certification date that can be had real cheap. Has anyone cut into one of these or tried to convert them to other uses? I was thinking possibly a push plow for a small tractor?

sounds like it would work

give it a try

Comment

Be very careful if you decide to cut into one. Obviously, make sure it is empty (completely, remove valve) and has never contained a flammable substance. Also, how about using it as a.... gas bottle.... ? As long as they aren't damaged, you should be able to get them re-hydro'd and certified.
      Last edited by speedycheater; 01-01-2005, 06:59 PM.

Comment

It is a welding supply shop that sells a lot of gases. I was in picking up some argon and noticed the container sitting in the yard full of a mixture of bottles. I think if the bottles were serviceable that they would be using them. Several of them had been used with inert gases which should be safe if washed first.

I was just toying with what use might be made of them (they can be had for scrap pricing).
        Last edited by tennfire; 01-01-2005, 07:51 PM.

Comment

fill them full of water and take them to your scrap your with the rest of your scrap

Or make a big arse windchime. I think you'll find a thread on here about that.
          Welcome. While visiting our fine country and taking tax-free advantage of our welfare state so that you can send money back to your home country who's government has realized it is easier to get this influx of US dollars than to improve their own economy, Brian would prefer that you try to learn the language. I agree.

Comment

they usually give them away

cut them in 1/2 put a clanger in there ring it on the hour all nite.. if that don't work . buy 6 or 7 Roosters. neighbors enjoy a little entertainment in the wee hours

Comment

You could make one into a unique driveway marker, internally lit, that spewed smoke or steam all night long...just a thought...

...now THAT would give the neighbors something to talk about!!!
              At the Lake

Miller Stick
              Victor Torch
              HH 180
              Cutmaster 38 Plasma Cutter
              Large Collection of Chinese Tools (unknown dynasties)

Comment

Hmmmn.........this would be interesting.
                What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

we made a chinese gong out of one. cut off the bottom and welded a ring on top. sounds cool.
                  Tyler
                  MM135
                  Porta Torch

Comment

If they are dented or have had an arc struck on them they are not serviceable for high pressure gasses.
                    They are a little heavy but I have one I use as a compressed air tank.
                    DrIQ

Comment

Well, if you are going to use the top half for a chinese gong, here's what you can use the bottom bit for. http://www.dfoggknives.com/forge.htm

MM 251
                      Various other tools used to beat metal into submission
                      [email protected]

Comment

Whack both ends off, weld a breech plate to one end and make a bowling ball gun.
                        My Powerstroke will stomp your Duracrap!

Comment

http://www.japanesegarden.com/intheg...ellbells.shtml
                          Esab 2200 AC/DC
                          Thermal 211i
                          Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                          Smith O/A plus mini torch
                          Smith machine torch
                          LN-25 pro
                          LF-72 feeder
                          Edwards 65 ton
                          5X10 CNC table
                          Victor A-120
                          Miller Shopmate 300DX
                          S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

great ideas but not very practical,

I was thinking more along the lines of cutting them up to make a snow/dirt plow blade or

cutting them lengthwise into 4 inch strips then placing the strips lengthwise in a metal brake to make 2x2 angles which would be cheaper than the cost of steel these days.

Comment

Working...
                            X