I hate it when things dont work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate it when things dont work!

Today I got to pull the motor out of my HD 3/4 ton 4X4. Lucky me I know! LOL

Well I got it all ready to come out. Got my cherry picker over and in place. Started lifting and found it would not go highenough to get the motor over the core support.

Well I ranted a little bit. Thougth about dumping the air out of the front tires and all that happy stuff. Then I thought I would get the weldor out and take care of this problem
    OMS
    HH175
    Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
    Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
    Smith O/A X 2
    Harris O/A
    BridgePort
    MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
    And more!
    Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

Nice work, but I think you're treading on shaky ground with the forces there. I'd add a brace going from the top of your new piece to the cross piece at the very back of the base. Right now you put an 18" lever arm and don't have anything to counter the horizontal force. A brace would do well to insure you don't have a failure, which would not be a pretty thing to see.

Comment

Yep, having a welder is one of mans best friends!
      Now, through that motor away and slap a powerstroke in there!
      master of all trades, jack of none...or sumtin like that...

Comment

Having a welder and a few tools allows you to go quite a bit further if you have the imagination. I could be wrong, but it looks like you modified it to where you can take it back to the original configuration if you wanted to.

Comment

Why did you have to pull the engine? Oh yea, nice job on the fabrication.
          My Powerstroke will stomp your Duracrap!

Comment

Give me your powerstroke and I will toss that motor in the trash!! Wish it was a powerstroke !!!

Yes I can change it back to its orginal state. I just changed out the grade 5 bolts to all grade 8 with the spacer.

Whay did I pull it??? Rebiuld . . Well its not getting a full rebuild. More like a new bottomend , new rings, and cam. Oh yea injectors too. and then resealed. Its a big job but Hey the truck was free. I have a lot of Emision stuff Bad on this motor. Tubes rotted away, and that. Cost of them is pretty high. Think I just might try a fab them and save a few hundred bucks!!

I was thinking of adding a brace from the spacer to the back But after a few test lifts the unit was super stable and did not even creek of ping so I left alone. Maybe later on I will redo it with a full top plate going from the tube riser all the way back to the angle iron to tie it all in.
            OMS
            HH175
            Smith O/A X 2
            Harris O/A
            BridgePort
            And more!

Comment

I'm afraid you won't hear a creak or a groan. It'll be more like a "BLANG!!!", and you could be lying over in the corner in very bad shape. I don't like the bolts holding this together (they look like Grade 2 hardware store ones. Go Grade 8, and up to 7/16"), but, if you're going to want to dismantle it in the future, consider bracing to the rear (green lines), and on each side (blue lines). It looks wwaaaayyyy risky the way you have it now. Just my 2 centavos worth. It is ingenious, however. I would have removed the front wheels and lowered the front end down.
              At the Lake

Miller Stick
              Victor Torch
              HH 180
              Cutmaster 38 Plasma Cutter
              Large Collection of Chinese Tools (unknown dynasties)

Comment

Originally posted by evaporator
                I'm afraid you won't hear a creak or a groan. It'll be more like a "BLANG!!!", and you could be lying over in the corner in very bad shape. I don't like the bolts holding this together (they look like Grade 2 hardware store ones. Go Grade 8, and up to 7/16"), but, if you're going to want to dismantle it in the future, consider bracing to the rear (green lines), and on each side (blue lines). It looks wwaaaayyyy risky the way you have it now. Just my 2 centavos worth. It is ingenious, however. I would have removed the front wheels and lowered the front end down.

Only problem after taking the wheels off How would you pull the picker out?? Its 4X4 there is a axel under there. You would have droped the truck on the picker and bent it. Then there would be more problems then I started with.

All that bracing will not do much good to be honist. If it were to blow appart... Whare the two pices are bolted toghter with grade 8 bolts Thay would go forward and not back. Your brace on the back Might help hold in place but if its going to go it would not help much. 80% of the force is pulling up on the back arms. If you were to look at the unit from the side and see the physics in action. As long as I keep the lift ram in the first slot all the down push is in a straight line Now if I were to move the ram out a notch or more then I would be getting in trouble. As the more I move the ram out the arm the more I start pushing at a angle.

Man How I hated physics classes! too! Made my brain hurt for days!! LOL

Just as a side note Thay are all grade 8 bolts and nuts. and there bigger then 7/16. 9/16 grade 8 bolts and nuts. Grade 5 washers. NO grade 2!!!! only time I use grade 2 is to fill a hole when welding body parts or something dumb.
                Last edited by Old Man Stick; 12-31-2004, 09:43 AM.
                OMS
                HH175
                Smith O/A X 2
                Harris O/A
                BridgePort
                And more!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Stick
                  All that bracing will not do much good to be honist.
                  I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly. I'm in Kookz' and Evap's corner on this one. You have created a box structure with no diagonals that has the potential to fold up. I'm not as worried about Evap's blue braces, but the green one at least should be there. Cheap insurance.
                  Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Man Stick]Give me your powerstroke and I will toss that motor in the trash!! Wish it was a powerstroke !!!

For the right price my wonderfully taken care of, daily highway driven, never used to tow, solid black, flamed grill and dash gauges, custom chiped, custom injectored, custom turboed, custom exhaust, custom intaked, cracked windshield powerstroke can be yours
                    My Powerstroke will stomp your Duracrap!

Comment

Old Man Stick - VERY COOL IDEA!
                      Been there! Outside, on soggy ground, as soon as engine weight came off springs, it was like the front end was never gonna stop goin' UP! Had to drop engine back in and stuff boards under front wheels on engine crane, pull engine out (again) then roll truck out of the way so we could drop engine down,etc.. I guess Ford still hasn't figured out how to oil the bottom end! What the H - -L, they've only had a hundred years to figure it out!!!!!!

Comment

Hey, YERUNCLE,
                        I've seen a couple of well placed loops of chain around the axles and frame prevent the truck from following the engine up into the air. Just keep the springs compressed while you pull the weight off it, you could even smash it down further for a little extra clearance!

Bryan

Comment

TO be honist the bottom end is not Ford falt on this one. The cam being crap already Im not sure who need a slap to the head for but Oh well! LOL

Na the front end did not come up too much. about a 1 1/2 inch. Its just that it sits soo **** high to start off with. Its a heavy duty 3/4 ton. Sooo its pretty much a derated 1 ton. Factory long studds on the rear for dual wheels and all. Dana 60 front end. Ect Ect Ect.

It was a buddys of mine. He had a new oil pan and motor mounts put on it. I offered to do for him but he said he had some guy linned up to do it for him. Well this guy took about 4 months to get it done ! LOL Yea theres a fast worker. My budy had it for 2 weeks. Stoped at the local corner store to get a pack of smokes came out and there was a pupple of oil under the truck. Last draw He ran home. a few blocks away dumped like 8 Qt in and run it up to my place. About 3 miles. Half way He said he was out of oil Psi. But got it here. I pushed it in the barn with the loader and found the oil filter to be loose. Well I drove it a few months. ( I had told he what was wrong He said keep it! Already got a new one ) It has a few problmes. So its getting some TLC ... I think. The more I work on it the more I find wrong with it! THinking of stripping down to fraime sandblasting and startting over. But I have to get a price list going and see how much its going to be. I might not have the depth in my pockets for this!

Yea The Money for that powerstroke its a LOT more then im looking to spend right now! I keep on telling my self that the next one is going to be a powerstroke! I get this one here done. I should get about 8 years out of it. Heck my 86 that is falling appart I payed 1500 for it and have had it for about 7 years. Poor thing has like 253,000 miles on it! newer motor but the drivetrain and that are the same. So 8 to 10 I do not think it out of the question. Sooo one this one dies. the jimmy I hope will still be going good. or if its crapping too I just might be down to one new HD 3/4 ton powerstroke 4X4..... LOL my luck in 10 years thay will not be around! LMAO

Oh well winter projects are sooo much fun!
                          OMS
                          HH175
                          Smith O/A X 2
                          Harris O/A
                          BridgePort
                          And more!

Comment

Originally posted by rock45
                            Hey, YERUNCLE,
                            I've seen a couple of well placed loops of chain around the axles and frame prevent the truck from following the engine up into the air. Just keep the springs compressed while you pull the weight off it, you could even smash it down further for a little extra clearance!

Bryan

Hey, that would work too. Why is it the simple things never enter anyone's mind (mine anyway)?

Comment

Working...
                            X