rheostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rheostats

Does anyone know if it's possable, to connect inline with the work lead on my welder a medium amperage rheostat?
    I am aware that a foot pedal would solve this problem, BUT I have a Lincoln 250-300 Ideal arc ac-dc machine. As you may or may not know this machine is not an inverter but a transformer rectifier machine. I can however buy a high freq unit with a foot peddle for it, but it's **** near the price of the welder.
    The lowest estimated amp of my unit is roughly 30 amps, I need a rheostat that can handle this output or a little more for fine tig work. I touch start everything and since I'm not intending at all on welding aluminum, I feel this is the way to go. If so where can I purchase such a unit.
    Any ideas?
    Skip

A rheostat that will handle this level of power is going to be very expensive, unless you can find one from a stage light dimmer board.
    An alternate would be to experiment using a piece of 1/8 x 1/2 flat stock in the ground side of the circuit. Moving the ground clamp along the length of the iron will change the resistance.

Comment

Years ago, cheapie- generator-welders were equiped with an alternate ground connection for low amp work.
      All that these were was a strip of stainless steel about 5 feet long, 1/2" wide and maybe .050 thick.
      Frantz's answer will work very nicely, as that is the essence of the low amp connection.
      work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

i have a similar problem with my 24v readywelder.. i was thinking maybe one of those pedal controls off of an old 24v trolling motor.. i think that would work to control the amperage as i'm blowing through anything under 3/16"s and even 3/16"s to a degree..
        Beer makes a great gas shield, ask me how!

Comment

HI SKIP.................WELL I DON'T THINK THE RHEOSTATE WILL WORK,...... HOWEVER WHAT THEY ARE SAYING ABOUT THE CHOKE (FLAT STOCK IN LINE WITH POWER CONNECTION)........MIGHT WORK. HOWEVER I THINK A CHOKE WILL WORK BETTER WITH 4 OR 5 DIFFERENT TAPS OFF OF THE WINDING(S)................HOWEVER YOUR STILL GOING TO HAVE A HEAT DISAPATION DISADVANTAGE................

HAVEING SAID ALL THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND TO USE THE CORRECT OPTION FOR THE MACHINE. HIGH FREQUENCY BOX, NOW YOU ARE AT A DISTINCT DISADVANTAGE ONLY HAVEING 30 AMPS MINIMUM..... SAME PROBLEM WE HAVE WITH OUR T-BOLTS AND STICKMATES...........LOOK AT THE 180SD.......250SD ETC.

WHY NOT CONSIDER UPDATEING TO THE CORRECT MACHINE. MOST OF THE SAFETY CONCERNS CAN BE DISPELLED. I'M SURE YOUR LINCOLN MACHINE HAS SOME RESALE PRICE TRADE IN VALUE........ JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH........................ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

EVILPSYCH.............. WELCOME ABOARD............... YOUR WELDER IS IT ONE OF THOSE BATTERY OPERATED ONES 2 BATTERY'S PARALLED........... NOT BEING RUDE, JUST NOT FAMILURE WITH THIS BRAND OF WELDER....................................REMEMBER THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS HERE............. ME I'M IN THE LEARNING MODE HERE...................................THANKS..... ..........ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

Readywelder is a spool gun designed to use batteries for power. I like the position of wire spool but hear its harder to thread the wire than normal spool gun. I use to see a resistance box at their web site. Problem with resistance box is heat produced doesn't contribute to weld.

If you used 6v batteries then you could have 12V, 18V, and 24V. That might solve your problem.

http://readywelder.com/
              Last edited by Roger; 02-24-2003, 04:28 PM.

Comment

HI ROGER..........THANKS FOR THE INPUT......... I LIKE THE IDEA THEY ARE IN HUMMERS NOW..........ISN'T IT AMAZEING WHAT TECHNOLOGY CAN BRING TO US COMMON PEOPLE.......THANKS FOR THE INPUT.....................................ROCK
                [email protected]

Comment

Ernie hooked up a readywelder to his Maxstar 200 for welding aluminum. He said it was impressive in post at sci.engr.joining.welding

Ernie Leimkuhler ([email protected])

Comment

Working...
                  X