Saw Blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Blade?

I am interested in cutting a 4x8 sheet metal up to say 16ga. thick. What kind of blade can I use on a circular saw to do this? Or can it be done? If not what is the best method?
    Todd Eldridge
    [email protected]
    Newbie Hobby Welder

You might buy you a 4 1/2 inch grinder and buy some 4 1/2" by .045 metal cutting blades for it. The blades do a good job and you can buy them for about $2.00 a piece. The grinders sometimes you can find a cheap one for $19.00 or so, and Harbor freight has one now for $19.00. My last one lasted about 3 years. It might have lasted longer but I used it this last weekend to cut 8' of 3/8" plate. It burned it up but was doing a good job on it. as I didn't need to do much dressing of the cut after making it.

Comment

I think the best way to cut sheet metal below 16 guage is with a shear , such as made by Kett. If you must use a circular saw, then Tenryu from Japan is the leader in saw blades for steel and other metals--their woodworking blades are good as well. Go to www.tenryu.com and search for steel-pro blades. These are designed for mild steel. Others are for SS or AL. The 7.25" x 70 is for 29-26ga, 48 tooth for < 1/8", and if your saw has the oomph, a 38 tooth for between 1/8 and 1/4. Jepson and others make dedicated saws for this which are better than a reg. circ saw because they capture the hot chips this produces--but they are expensive. I've been told that Tenryu was the first to incorporate the C6 carbide for these blades and makes pretty much all the blades for the porter-cable, dewalt, hitachi, and makita dry-cut saws. Haven't tried to substantiate that myself though it seems plausible. Typical prices on the net for the 38 and 48 tooth are around $45 each, but they can be resharpened. See the dealer links on the website.

-dseman

Comment

I'll probably catch some heck for this one...An old race car builders trick. Use an old high speed steel blade in the circular saw, but turn it so the teeth run backwards. It cuts through mild steel sheet like a hot knife through butter. Just be sure to wear good eye protection and watch out for hot chips getting inside your shirt. DO NOT USE A CARBIDE BLADE. Those little teeth really fly fast when the come undone.
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
        The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Please believe me when I say I don't want to start a feud......but cutting vinyl, light guage AL, and 24 guage steel is quite a bit different than cutting 16 guage steel. SO, if Srubrn wants to try the backward blade trick, then please, be careful and use plenty of ear protection! I still think a proper set of Kett shears is the best/cleanest approach. It all depends on how much of this you plan to do.

-dseman

Comment

Why do you need to turn the blade to where it will run in the opposite way than it was meant to run? I've been cutting metal siding for years with a cheap plywood blade & found out by turning the blade to run backwards, not only rounds off the teeth but will burn the metal as it is cut.
            John C

Comment

John Cobb,

I dunno. you'll have to ask arbo about why he turns the blade backwards. I've never tried it though I've heard of others who have for very light guage stuff.

-dseman

Comment

I'm not really sure what the reason is...It's just the way I was taught to do it, and it seems to work well for me. You just have to take your time and let the saw do the work. The hearing protection is also a good point that I forgot to include. It is a very loud process. As dseman said, a set of shears or a nibbler would be an ideal tool. But, for the home hobbiest doing an occasional sheet it seems to work. Good Luck.

Comment

if ya have an air compressor then get an air shear.
                  Art is dangerous!
                  www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

I have used the Evolution 180 metal cutting circular saw for years now, It's most outstanding feature is a built in chip collector...You don't get chips down your shirt...a big plus...I believe it turns a little slower than a regular saw does. I'll have to double check that. The down side is it's quite pricey at $500.

Gnewby has an equally good idea, which I use as well with a .040" thick abrasive cutting wheel, you can cut very accurately with it

Comment

Hey, Arbo...did the cons teach you that backward saw blade trick?

How many ear rings did ya get this week?

Comment

Rocky,

That's from years ago when I used to help chop the roofs off of cars to put a roll cage in and a freind of mine would race them at the local 1/2 mile dirt track...No earrings this week. I think they got the message!

Comment

Rocky,

Where would you buy that Evolution Saw?
                          Todd Eldridge
                          [email protected]
                          Newbie Hobby Welder

Comment

Originally posted by Srubrn
                            Rocky,

Where would you buy that Evolution Saw?
                            I found this UK site, but I know they are being sold here in the US. Try a Google search and maybe EBay.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...1&r=2044&g=106

The price they give here is in English pounds...I'll keep checking.
                            ....I founda place in Florida, I had tottally forgot about these guys...check out what they have to offer.

http://www.oceanmachinery.com/evolution_saw.htm
                            Last edited by Rocky D; 02-12-2003, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I saw the oceanmachinery but I figured somebody else might sell them.
                              Todd Eldridge
                              [email protected]
                              Newbie Hobby Welder

Comment

Working...
                              X