Hobart 175 handler vs. Ironman 210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 175 handler vs. Ironman 210

I am currently looking to purchase a welder & have been looking into the Hobart 175 Handler. Since I am new to welding I would like some opinons on which welder is right for the applications I plan to use it for.

I plan on using the welder to work on restoring a old car, including frame work & some aluminum. I would like to know if anyone has any experience w/this welder & what kind of arch this welder produces vs. the Ironman 210 (as I am also looking into this model)? Which one is the best all around welder for the home hobbist & is built to last?

Thanks!

Jim

I started out with a campbell hausfeld 105 the one ya can hook up to a bottle after I couple of years I upgraded to a MM 251. I sold my old welder to a guy at work for half the price I paid for it. If you are just starting out get a 135 and move up later. Spend your extra money on books and safety equipment like a good hood.
    Art is dangerous!
    www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

if ya are just starting out I would spend as lil as possible and see if welding is really something I want to do. If not then I wouldn't be out a lot of money. On the other hand, who wouldn't like welding get the biggest machine you can afford. I paid $300 for my first welder and sold it for $150. I wasn't planning on selling it until a guy at work was wanting to start welding some sheet metal for his truck. I said "Oh yeah, I have the perfect welder for ya!"
      Art is dangerous!

Comment

Aweaver, that is a sweet deal. When I upgraded. I looked at the 175 but then I wondered if I would want a bigger machine in the future. OK, in a year or 2 I am sure I would want something bigger. So I looked at the 210 these are nice and should do me well. Wait, I can get the 251 and a spool gun and save $500. Sounds good to me. Do I weld aluminum? No, not yet. Plus I could say to the wife if I get the 251 this will be the last MIG welder I ever need.
        Art is dangerous!

Comment

northernmopar1,

This sounds like what I went through a few months back. It's been over 30 years since I did any welding to speak of and being recently retired, welding was always something I wanted to pursue more. I had looked at TSC and some of the other retail places and finally went to one of the local welding distributors that handles almost every line. I told the sales guy I wanted a 175 Handler and he asked if I was sure . He proceeded to open up a Hobart and a Miller and started pointing out things. Even though they are both essentially the same machine, the Miller is a more substantially built machine. He asked what I was going to use it for, etc. I ended up with a Miller MM210 with spoolgun. Surprisingly, the total price was much better than I expected, plus they have done a great job of "holding my hand", etc. The one "line" that always gets mentioned on this board is - you can turn them down, but you can only turn them up so far. In other words, go a litlle bigger than you expect .

Allen T.

Comment

NORTHERNMOPAR1...............WELL WHY NOT STOP BY THE LOCAL WELDING SHOP OR SHOPS IN YOUR AREA AND PRACTICE WITH SOME. BESIDES ALL THE GOOD ADVICE YOU GET HERE SOME HANDS ON IS ALWAYS THE TICKET..............AND WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD FEEL FOR THE LOCAL SUPPLIERS IN YOUR AREA.........YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE GAS FROM THESE FOLKS..........GET TO KNOW THEM.................AND DON'T BE SHY....... TAKE A LIST OF QUESTIONS WITH YOU AND SOME MATERIAL YOU WANT TO WELD ON.................WELL THEY PROABABLY WON'T LET YOU CARRY IN A FENDER FROM A CAR BUT CUT SOME METAL YOUR GOING TO BE WELDING AND TAKE WITH YOU..........................NEED A LIST OF THE LOCAL'S IN YOUR AREA GIVE ME A CALL OR DO THE SEARCH FOR SALES AND SERVICE. ALSO LOG ON TO THE MILLER WEB SITE WWW.MILLERWELDS.COM................THE MORE YOU KNOW THE BETTER OFF YOU'LL BE........................HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT...
            ................ROCK.............[email protected]

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks everyone for the replies & advice. I will take it all into consideration before I make my purchase. So far I am leaning toward the Handler 175 at TSC (on sale for $588), but have looked into the Miller line as well.

Like I said I have not had much welding experience so all your input helps!

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X