propane welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane welding

Hey guys. I have changed over to propane for cutting but have run into a problem in that it does not weld worth a flip. The flame blows out to easy and is very hard to light and adjust. I know that you have to change your cutting tips but do they offer welding tips for propane????
    XMT 300CC/CV (yes it still works)
    Bobcat 225, Hobart Hefty CC/CV wire feeder, Profax spool gun,Victor & Smith O/A, Lincoln Tombstone(sold), Airco HF box (old Miller) MM175, IR 4KW gen set,all paid for, all work. My newest addition MM130 salvaged from a Kitrina flood area. Cleaned up and works great. . Just added a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, total cost to repair both less than $200.00, they both work great...another Katrina cast off.

propane welding

If I recall correctly, propane doesn't get hot enough to weld. Oxygen-Propane only gets to around 4600 degrees whereas Oxy-Acetylene gets to 5500-6300 degrees. Oxy-Propane is OK for brazing and soldering but not for welding.
    Last edited by cope; 02-07-2003, 11:25 PM.

Comment

It is almost imposible to get and keep a flame. Anyone have the best gas settings to ease this problem?
      XMT 300CC/CV (yes it still works)
      Bobcat 225, Hobart Hefty CC/CV wire feeder, Profax spool gun,Victor & Smith O/A, Lincoln Tombstone(sold), Airco HF box (old Miller) MM175, IR 4KW gen set,all paid for, all work. My newest addition MM130 salvaged from a Kitrina flood area. Cleaned up and works great. . Just added a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, total cost to repair both less than $200.00, they both work great...another Katrina cast off.

Comment

propane flame

What brand torch? Check w/ manufacturer for recommended settings and go from there.

Comment

Frank, did you buy a propane torch? You cannot use an Oxy/acet. rig for propane. On a Victor torch you can change the tip only. On others you need a whole new torch.
          Respectfully,
          Mike Sherman
          Shermans Welding

Comment

I have both Victor and Harris style torches and have only used propane with both,you cannot weld with propane,to cold.When you light it,you need to have the oxegen on a little or the propane will shoot out like a fire ball,from there you adjust it similar to acetylene,play with it a little,you will figure it out.You need to preheat a little more than acetylene but from there i have no problem cutting anything up to 1/2" every bit as clean as acetylene.

Comment

Can't weld with oxy-propane but can do brazing and braze welds. With its lower heat output for a given size torch tip it can braze smaller material than oxy-acetylene. Some torches can use air propane or air acetylene torch tips that have even lower heat output but save cost of O2. They are used for soldering.

Comment

Braze Weld

Roger,

Trying to further my education. What is a braze weld?

Thanks.

Dave
                "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

Normally I use brazing as all inclusive general term much like using MIG generally to include many long more specific acronyms.

From Welding Essentials
                  Brazing depends on capillary attraction to draw the filler metal into the lmating joint while in braze welding the filler metal is deposited in grooves or fillets at the points were needed for joint strength. Capillary attraction is not a factor in distributing the filler metal as the joints are open to the weldor. Braze welding is not a brazing process, but welding with brazing filler metal.

Comment

"Welding with brazing filler metal"

Roger,

Just curious, my understanding would be that if you are not melting both parent metals together, you are not "welding", you're brazing.

Dave
                    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

Working...
                    X