beta mig 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beta mig 200

i have a hobart beta mig 200 that i have used occasionally for several years. i was never really satisfied with it. it does not have very good arc characteristics[not very smooth in starting arc or in running]. and the feed roller motor leaves a lot to be desired. i thought someone might have suggestions to improve the quality of the machine or possibly know of upgrades to make it work better. thanks, chip.
    chip

Chip I have not heard of too many people that has not been satisfied with the Beta Mig 200. I guess my question to you is What wire are you using Diamater size and Is it solid wire with gas, If using gas what mix is it. 100% co2 or a 75/25 mix. Now also if my memory serves me right this welder also had some taps under the wire roll. Depending on the wire size these taps are set for low , med, and high. Check some of these out for me and let me know.
    Thanks
    Dave Evans

Comment

Dave, thanks for the reply to my inquiry.
      I use a 75/25 mix and run er70s-6 in dia..030-.040.
      I originally ran a bernard q215ah gun but converted to a #2 tweco with a shorter cable hoping to eliminate birdnesting/feed binding problems with limited success. the feed system is extemely sensitive to any bending or uphill feeding of the wire thru the liner-much more so than any of my other machines. i've adjusted feed tension to the point of grooving the wire with the rollers. it just makes the feed motor slow down. converserly, with light tension, the grooved roller still shaves a considerable amount of metal off the wire and obviously roller slip increases.
      i can live with the weld characteristics of the machine but i thought i might be missing something.
      finally, you are correct about the hi/low power taps under the feed motor.
      the machine fits a niche in my shop requirements- i just wish it ran better
      chip

Comment

Hi, I have used a Betamig 200 for over 15 years with zero problems. I run .035 wire with co2 only. I use the low tap with the voltage at 8 or 9. Wire speed between 2.5 and 3. I have never changed the wire tension. I put on a 15' Tweco gun and do not have any feeding problems. The amp output is close to 100 amps. Perhaps you just need to do some fine tuning.
        What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Mike, do you spray transfer with the beta-mig , or do you just use it for short-circuit transfer? do you also still use the grooved feed roller or have you converted to just a u-groove? thanks, chip.
          chip

Comment

Chip, Since the main reason you are not satisfied is the bird nesting here are a couple more things to look at.
            1. Pull the gun out and look through the hole where the gun plugs in. What you are looking for is if the feed roll looks as if it is lining up as streight as posable. I have heard in the past that it is off center some. This can be adjusted by losening the 3 drive motor bolts and turning the motor some.
            2. When you put the other torch back on make sure you have the outlet guide back almost touching the drive roll. This helps feed the wire through the gun.
            Let me know
            Thanks
            Dave Evans

Comment

Dave, i never thought of motor alignment! first thing on my "todo" list tomorrow. thanks for the idea. chip
              chip

Comment

Hi Chip: I use the short circuit mode. The tap for the voltage is set on the low range, not the noodle range. If I can do any tests to help you, let me know. I like to experiment.
                What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

WELL IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE GUN LINER AND CONFIRM THERE ARE NO BURS ON THE END OF IT AND MAKE SURE IT IS ROUND........DO THIS TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR INPUT GUIDE FO ANY GROOVES CUT IN IT.......ALSO THE OUTPUT GUIDE MUST NOT HAVE ANY GROOVES CUT IN IT , THIS WILL CAUSE RESTRICTING AND FEED PROBLEMS....................AND MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVE ROLLS WHEN DISASSEMBLED ARE BOTH MATCHING UP......NOT .030 ON ONE SIDE AND NOT .035 ON THE OTHER.....THIS APPLIES IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE TWO PART DRIVE ROLLS........................IF ALL ELSE FAILES CALL 920-735-4505 AND SPEAK TO MIKE, MARE,DOUG OR KEVIN.......THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP [email protected] MILLERWELDS.COM

Comment

thanks Rock for the reply. i always file and deburr the leading edge of the liner after it's cut. the wire can be manually pushed/pulled thru the gun and cable with little effort. over the years, i have switched gun assys. to other machines just to prove to myself it's not problem.
                    the pressure roller has no groove worn in it and the bearing spins freely[idon't think i have 500hrs. on the machine!]. the serrated feed roller design has always baffled me. this is the only machine i have with that design. is it unique to hobart and would a plain u-groove roller work as a retrofit? oh yes, i do match the faces on the feed roller to themselves and to the wire size. thanks for offering to help. chip.
                    chip

Comment

CHIP........ME ALSO, SEARATED IS FOR TUBULAR WIRE AND SOMETIMES HARD WIRE...........LET'S TRY THIS PART NUMBER 376246A-010 IS IN STOCK, COST IS 48 AND CHANGE. THIS IS FOR HARD WIRE IS V GROOVED . I HAD MARIE CHECK AND SHE MADE UP A NICE CHART WHICH I CAN'T SEEM TO COPY AND PASTE INTO THIS LOCATION.........I KNOW, I KNOW... I WILL GET IT FIGURED OUT. . THIS IS A SINGLE V GROOVE FOR HARD WIRE WE HAD NO U GROOVES. IT IS ALSO FOR .035 WIRE WHICH IS THE MOST POPULAR SIZE WIRE FOR THESE MACHINES.............NEED MORE INFO. LET ME KNOW............ROCK..... [email protected]

Comment

Here is the chart Rock was talking about. It will give you a choice

PART NO. -----------WIRE SIZE ----------- WIRE----------- ROLL TYPE

376246A-002---------.030-.035-.045------HARD -TUBULAR---------1
                        376246A-006-------- .035-3/64 ------------SOFT-----------------------2
                        376246A-007---------.035------------------ SOFT-----------------------2
                        376246A-008---------3/64----------------- SOFT-----------------------2
                        376246A-010-------- .035-------------------HARD-----------------------3
                        376246A-012---------.045------------------HARD-----------------------3
                        376246A-013-------- 1/16-5/64 -----------TUBULAR-------------------1

TYPE ------1-----------KNURLED 2 PIECE
                        -------------2-----------SMOOTH "V" 2 PIECE
                        -------------3-----------SMOOTH "V" 1 PIECE

Marie[list=1][/list=1]
                        Last edited by Hobart Expert; 09-12-2002, 03:47 PM.

Comment

thanks for doing so much research on my problem. i"ll order the 010 and 012 as i use 3/64ths as much as possible. the 2 piece roller is a good idea but i see it is used only for "soft" wire. does soft mean non-ferrous, and hard ferrous? does the two-piece design tend to open and flex too much for "hard" wire. thanks, chip.
                          chip

Comment

HI CHIP........FROM MY MILITARY DAYS..........MANY LONG YEARS AGO. I WAS ISSUED A WRENCH THAT WAS NON-FERROUS......HAHAH WOULD NOT SPARK WHEN DROPPED AROUND AVIATION FUEL............THAT SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.............GOOD LUCK.........ROCK...... [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X