Hh 135

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hh 135

I'm currently useing .030 solid core wire and was wondering if I can run aluminum wire through the leed and gun that I have or will I need to re sleeve it or just purchase a second leed to use with aluminum wire

i would suggest that you buy a teflon liner if you plan on welding aluminum. There are several problems with running aluminum through the factory liner. For one thing the wire can become contaminated from steel dust in side the liner, plus you can also end up slicing the liner meanin that you would have to go out and buy another liner steel liner anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by octopod
      i would suggest that you buy a teflon liner if you plan on welding aluminum. There are several problems with running aluminum through the factory liner. For one thing the wire can become contaminated from steel dust in side the liner, plus you can also end up slicing the liner meanin that you would have to go out and buy another liner steel liner anyways.
      Why would aluminum wire slice the liner compared to steel wire??
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

You aren't going to slice a liner. They are made of coiled metal. I have had them apart numerous times to clean them. The reason for using a teflon liner with AL is that it is a softer wire and the teflon will keep it moving along better without jamming up.
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
        The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

HH 135

Thanks for all your replys I think to save the trouble of goofing up the liner I have I'll just save the trouble and pick up a Teflon liner before I attempt it.

Comment

The liner you can slice with sharp wire end is made of teflon not steel. Keep lead straight when feeding wire into liner and probably won't happen. File or grind off sharp cut end before feeding wire into linner and it can't happen.
            Last edited by Roger; 02-06-2003, 06:34 AM.

Comment

While teflon is recommended for Al, it is not required. Good practice to blow the liner out with compressed air when changing wire types. If you do get the teflon liner, keep it for Al only.
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
                You aren't going to slice a liner. They are made of coiled metal. I have had them apart numerous times to clean them. The reason for using a teflon liner with AL is that it is a softer wire and the teflon will keep it moving along better without jamming up.
                Arbo is correct, the purpose of the teflon liner is it allows the soft al wire to feed easier with little distortion to the wire.
                ROCK

Comment

Working...
                X