• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutoff Wheels

Rocky D,

Thanks!

It's like I've discovered a new tool!

I have numerous ways to cut things and have been using angle grinders for many years to grind and wire brush, but you can't really do a very good job of "cutting" with 3/16" or 1/4" abrasive wheels.

Your post on 10-04-02 got me to thinking. For certain things the thin disks really work and FAST!

Thanks.

Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

I use mine more than my torch, now.

Comment

Is it time to shift those worn cutoff wheels to 4" grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
        Is it time to shift those worn cutoff wheels to 4" grinder?
        It's strange, but they don't work as good on a 4" grinder. They wear too fast, but on a 5" grinder, they do just fine.... and I speak of the .040" wheels not the 1/8".

Comment

What RPM does your 5" grinder spin the disc? My 4.5" rt-angle grinder rotates disc at 10,000 RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
            What RPM does your 5" grinder spin the disc? My 4.5" rt-angle grinder rotates disc at 10,000 RPM.
            Mine turns at 11, 000...seems to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by russell
              Edge speed increases with diameter,so that at the same rpm the 5" would still be traveling faster at the edge than the 4" or 4 1/2".......and I would think that the extra velocity would add to the beam strength and aggressiveness of the disc....which I think should make it cut faster with more metal removed per disc.....of course I have been wrong before......

russell
              Let me pose a question....First off, Russell, let me say I think you're right...Now...a 5" disk traveling at 11,000RPM at the parimeter, is traveling at how many RPMs at the center?

Comment

14399 ft per minute or 163mph @ the edge on a 5" disk @ 11k rpm and 10742 ft per minute or 122 mph @ the edge for a 4" wheel on a 10k rpm grinder for a difference of 3926 ft per minute or 41 [email protected] the cutting edge.

~Nate~
                NCLS LLC.~ Big Nate's Plowing
                ~~~~~~ I like a nice piece of SCRAP~~~~~~
                NCLS LLC- SMR Division (Scrap Metal Recycling)
                I FOUND A CHEAP TIG :~D

Comment

I'm with Dave, I discovered a new tool. A friend told me about those .045 wheels about a year or more ago. And I bet I've used 2-3 dozen since then. I love them. Thick/thin/big/small ... nothing I can't tear up quickly now It's quick, precise, doesn't get stuff all HOT like using the torch and incredibly versatile. can't say enough good things about them.

- jack

Comment

any body use the 1 mm thick metabo 4 1/2" discs? those are quicker then a torch on 1/8" and 1/4"

and yes the numbers are pretty impressive considering a 21" lawnmower blade @ 3000 rpm travels @ 187 mph

~Nate~

Comment

Originally posted by aweaver
                      Rocky D's trick question: "Let me pose a question....First off, Russell, let me say I think you're right...Now...a 5" disk traveling at 11,000RPM at the parimeter, is traveling at how many RPMs at the center? "

Answer: 11,000RPM. RPMs are the same regardless of where on the rotating object they are measured.

Don't know if he meant it to be a trick question......

Big Nate's numbers check out, otherwise.
                      Yeah, you got it...it was a trick question. RPM's are the same...IPM's are different.

I discovered that when I had to program an Orbital Tube Welder.

Comment

IPM?

Originally posted by Rocky D

Yeah, you got it...it was a trick question. RPM's are the same...IPM's are different.

I discovered that when I had to program an Orbital Tube Welder.
                        Ok Rocky D,how many IPM at the exact center.That should keep you busy for a while.

Comment

Re: IPM?

Originally posted by Scott V

Ok Rocky D,how many IPM at the exact center.That should keep you busy for a while.
                          Yeah....right

Comment

a 5/8" shaft spinning @ 10000 rpm makes for 19635 ipm @ the edge or 18 mph
                            Last edited by Big Nate; 02-07-2003, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X