Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting MIG welder to TIG?

Hi,
    I have a HH135 MIG welder and I was curious if there is any good way to convert it to TIG. I know Daytona used to make a unit called the WTA160 which you could convert from MIG to TIG but they don't make it any more. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    DJD

There is not a way to convert a Handler fur use as a TIG machine. If you're interested in inexpensive solutions, I would recommend the Miller Macstar 140, Econotig, or Syncrowave 180 SD. Airco used to make (20+yrs ago) a machine called the Dip-Stick 160, that did both MIG and TIG, but since then I have not seen a economic combo machine available.

Steve
    http://www.news-corp.com

Comment

Don't know about that converter but HTP use to sell a converter. The price and features made me think better to buy right welder. There are many CC, CV welders made by Miller and others that use accessory wire feeder for MIG. Only US made all in one MIG/TIG welder I know of is Lincoln Electric's Power MIG 300 which is nice and expensive. It has synergenic contoll with one knob changing both voltage and wire speed or each individually. It has accessory push-pull gun and does pulse MIG/TIG/stick welding. A few months ago saw Italian welder manufacture's web site that had all in one inverter MIG/TIG welder in 135 or 175 amp class. More features gets easier with inverter's digital controls. Italy and other EU nations make many inverter welders some sold by Datona, HTP and Harbor Freight.

Comment

Re; stoney, I had a dip-stick 160, what a miserable piece of machinery, It spent more time being repaired than working.
        I traded it to a friend who insisted on having it, good riddance!
        I hope the new combo machines are better!
        work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

As many people said their Dip-Stick was garbage, I still get calls with people looking for repair parts for them. I know of 3 of them in my area that still run. Bottom line is a decent combo machine can cost you upwards of $3000, which is more than a lot of hobbyists/weekend warriors can stomach.

Steve
          http://www.news-corp.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll work on buying a separtate TIG machine.

DJD

Comment

ESAB makes one look here

http://www.cyberweld.com/esmul160.html

I dont know anything about it, but I would be half tempted to trust this one........fully if it was painted blue, made here, and named Miller(or Hobart).

Comment

Miller could easly make about same welder as esab in link only able to plug into 110V and 220V using maxtar 140 or 200 as starting point. Vairable pulse option? I want one.

Comment

Working...
                X