Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extention cord for welder

Extention cord for welder

I have seen on a forum that a few people have made an extention cord for the 220V welders. I have a 220V and would like to make one also since this is not my house and I don’t want to pay the expense of running a 220 line since I am leaving soon. I am just looking for any feed back or suggestions on what I should do to make this cord. I have a buddy who is an electrician who will be helping me make it but he is really busy at the moment and I wanted to get a head start on what I will be looking at and need to make this.
    Thanks for any info.

I've used 2-2-4 aluminum service entrance cable to good results, just a thought.
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

You will have to specify what amperage your welder requires and how long you want to make the cord.
      bitternut

Comment

The welder is a 40 amp might be 50 but I think its 40 I have to look. I need at least a 100ft run. Again its not my house so I can run a line in there. But if I can plug into the 220 line in the house with this extention cord then I will be all set.

Comment

Wire for extension cords has many fine strands in each conductor for flexabillity and flexable insulation. Something like romex or aluminium service cable that isn't as flexable is better suited for permanent installation or ok for simi-permanent installation that is plugged into dryer outlet and not moved. If you insist on using romex for portable extension cord avoid sharp bends and roll it up into 3ft coil for storage and unroll it for use to avoid kinks. If you need flexability at welder end of romex install outlet and use short flexable extension cord.

Comment

wire size

6-3 is ideal, but since you probably won't run the welder full blast 8-3 will work. My MIG is rated 50 amp service and the manufacturer recommends 8-3 for up to 100 feet.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I have a Ironman 210, pulls 33 amps, I made about 300 welds on a friends carport this weekend, ran my machine on 8-3 about 50 feet of it with no problems, hope this helps

wingnut

Comment

Hi folks,
                  I'm a newbie here, so please be patient with me. I justed got my new MM 175, and after reading this post, I thought I'd like to make an extension cord to be able to adapt my MM 175 power cord to my portable generator for field repairs.

I'm no electrician so I thought someone here might be able to advise me a bit. I can pick up 50' or so of #6 or #8 flex wire at the local home improvement store. I also picked up a Weld-It female receptical that matches the 3 prong plug that the MM175 has. Now, my question: my generator has a twistlock 4 prong receptical, so I guess I'll need one of those plugs for the other end. But, what to do with the 4th prong? And do I need 3 wire or 4 wire cable because of this? Can anyone give me some hints (or lots of details)? Sorry for such a basic question.
                  thanks,
                  Stephen

Comment

Just leave it out,no need for the neutral wire for a 230 volt welder.That's what I did,and it works fine.

Comment

Like Scott said,
                      I also left out the neutral in my extension cord since its not used. The ground wire is important for safety reasons.
                      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

The neutral wire is only needed to get 110V which doesn't apply to your welder.

Comment

SHORTON..........WELCOME ABOARD..... I WANT TO PUT IN MY 2 CENTS WORTH HERE.........TYPICALLY 4 CONDUCTOR IS FOR 3 PHASE WIREING..................SO YOU SHOULD HAVE BLACK, WHITE, RED, AND A GREEN WIRE IN THE PLUG......... IF THIS IS THE CASE YOU CAN CHECK WITH A METER AND SEE..............NOW THE 64 DOLLAR QUESTION WHAT KIND OF A GENERATOR IS IT..... I HAVE A ONAN GENERATOR WITH 3 PHASE CAPABILITIES AND I HAVE USED IT BEFORE FOR SINGLE PHASE BY DROPPING A WIRE IN THE PLUG USEING THE BLACK, WHITE, AND GROUND (GREEN) WIRE....
                          BUT THIS IS AN OLDER GENERATOR WITH A 460 CU IN FORD GAS ENGINE ON IT...........PLEASE NOTE I SAID OLDER....... BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING BEFORE YOU START DROPPING WIRES....................................BE SAFE..................................ROCK

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X