• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Bryant
    • Oct 2002

Dynasty 200, what are the benefits from

changing from a Lincoln 175?

I have a used Lincoln 175 and a gentlemen that will buy it for what I paid for it. I like the machine , but would like a little more upper end capacity ( 1/4" ). The real problem is that I have tweeked myself twice moving it ( ~180 lbs I would guess ). I have the $$$ for the Dynasty at the moment, partly because I have a buyer for the 175.

Sooooo, what are the trade-offs?

Thx's, Fred.
  • Scott V
    • Dec 2002

Trade offs?

If its like every inverter,there is only one trade off ($$$$$).
    Make the deal before he changes his mind.That way we have another board member that has jumped to the right side.After you start welding with it you wonder why you bought a transformer machine.

I just thought of one more trade off,it's a whole lot easier for somebody to walk off with a inverter machine.Like in my case a 400 lb transformer to a 60 lb inverter with the same 300 amps.
    Scott

Comment

• Dan
      • Sep 2002

Fred

Looks like to make the Dynasty 200 a useable TIG machine you are going to fork out $2000 for the base machine, and then another $400 to $500 for the accessories.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

• Fred Bryant
        • Oct 2002

I think I only need an additional foot pedal.

I have two 23' torches ( 125 & 150 amp ) in addition to the one that came with the Lincoln 175. I never liked the one that came with the machine, it seemed to get too hot even when used well within it's capacity, as well as being always 1 foot too short.

I also have an extra ground clamp and flowmeter/regulator that I was given.

Hence, I think I only need to buy the machine and a foot control, unless I have missed something.

My original post should have been clearer. My questions had more to do with welding capacity ( +'s and -'s ) of the machine. My understanding/questions are as follows:

Plus:
        Lighter ( 45 verse ~180 lbs )
        120 Volt operation at reduced capacity
        ( not sure if I would use this )
        Ac freq. control
        ( What would this actually buy me? )
        Lower bottom end amps
        Pulser
        ( What would this buy me? )
        Balance Control

Minus:
        More $$$
        ( Currently have )
        More $ to fix
        ( Don't want it to break, but ... )

Wants:
        More umph: 1/4" Al/Steel ( 5/16" ideal )
        To be able to weld like Dan
        ( Practice, practice, practice,... )

Bottom Line:
        Is the bang worth the buck?

Thx's, Fred.
        Last edited by Fred Bryant; 01-23-2003, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Scott V
          • Dec 2002

Fred,It will do all shorts of thing your old one wouldn't think of doing.It will weld alot thicker metal faster,less disortion,less cleaning zone around your weld bead(much better looking weld)The freq narrows that zone with higher freq.Also a lower freq makes weldind thick stuff easier(wets the puddle real fast).There is no amp draw difference with the freq,balance control settings.A transformer really starts pulling the amps when you play with those settings.I don't use my pulse on mine,but lots of people love it for thin stuff.My transformer had more settings for pulse than my inverter.But it could not pulse anywhere near as fast.I think inverters are real relaible now,but the 200 is a new model so you never know.Thats the main reason I bought my Thermal arc over the Dynasty.I think the 300 dynasty has had a good record though.Maybe somebody from Miller could answer that better.I say buy it,and don't look back.I sure didn't.Inverters do about everything better.I really think everything stays so much cooler that they should last as long as a transformer machine.Which is a very long time.

Comment

• atucker
            • Jan 2003

Hi all,

A question from a newbie. I'm (re)new to welding. Been 30 years since I did a little welding in the Army and I decided I needed some new toys . In the process of researching for the MM210 I finally bought, I looked at lots of different welders, etc. I ended up with the 2003 Miller catalog and noticed something strange in the Specs for the Dynasty 200 that might make a difference in the choices (wishful thinking, after a lot more practice). In the "Rated Output" column (for TIG) for the Dynasty 200 on three phase power; it shows 200A , 20% duty cycle and 150A, 60% duty cycle. For single phase power it only shows 150A, 60% duty cycle. In the "Welding Amperage Range" column, the ratings are the same for both types of power. I looked for the Owners Manual on the Miller website thinking it might clarify this, but the manual isn't there yet. Knowing what I know about electronics and power circuits, etc, I don't think there would really be any difference and could be no more than an editing thing. In fact, for the Dynasty 300, the ratings are the same for single and three phase. Might be a good question for ROCK.

Next question, since I'm new to this. Since the 200 doesn't seem to have a "package" yet, for home/hobby use, should a person go for the air or water cooled torch. Miller needs to "package" the 200 like they do the 300.

Probably the first (and second) of many question to come.

GREAT FORUM!!

Allen T.

Comment

• dseman
              • Nov 2002

dynasty 200 specs for atucker

atucker,

If you go to the miller website, click on the search field on the left side of the site. You will be prompted to search the web site or pdf files. Choose pdf files and enter 'dynasty 200'. Your first hit, will be the brochure that I received in the mail for the dynasty 200. Page 3 shows volt/amp curves for differing input voltages/phases as well as duty-cycle curves. Hope that addresses your concerns!
              -dseman

Comment

• Scott V
                • Dec 2002

Atucker,

as far as the torches to use it depends on what you like in torches.Watercooled torches are smaller,but with a inverter the torches just do not get hot like a transformer powered machine.
                On my 300 amp machine I use a 150 air cooled weldcraft for most welding I do.That helps narrow the gap between the transformmer,and inverter price wise.No $450.00 cooler to buy.
                Plus it's a whole lot more portable,and you don't have to hear the cooler running all the time.

So if it was me I would buy the air cooled setup first,and if you want to throw money down the drain get a cooler setup.Don't ask how I know that.

Comment

Working...
                X