Transformer insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer insulation

My 34 year old Miller Model 88 stick machine has paper insulation wrapped around the stationary coils. This paper is peeling/tearing away. The welder still functions fine. Can I replace this insulation, and do I need to worry about it? My Cousin has a 56 year old Hollup 295 Amp machine that has lost all its insulation and it functions fine.

With out looking at it inperson I can not give you a full yes or no. I have replaced lots over the years. From everything that I have seen you shoudl be fine. the windings are coated with ... Something LOL Cant rember what. its like a epoxy or something. It will crack if you bend the winding and it will burn off. The paper is normaly used to help keep the differnt sets of windings toghter. It would most likely be inposible for the nornmal person to redo. Takes a lot of stuff to rewind a Transformer. We send out the big ones at the plant. By Big ones I mean that the windings are bigger then your whole welder. We have them running big 440 3 Phase rolling mills and such. Had to replace one about 3 years ago. Not cheap.

So in closing I would not worry. as long as it keeps on working it will be Just fine. Electronices runs on smoke! once you let the smoke out of something It just does not work no more!

OMS
    OMS
    HH175
    Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
    Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
    Smith O/A X 2
    Harris O/A
    BridgePort
    MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
    And more!
    Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

Comment

HI COPE.............AS I RECALL THE PAPER YOUR TALKING ABOUT IS NOMEX PAPER, WE'VE USED IT FOR THE LAST 10 OR 15 YEARS. THE NEW PAPER IS TOUGHQUIN (UNSURE OF THE SPELLING). IT IS EXACTLY THAT INSULATION BETWEEN WINDINGS. THE COATING IS SOMETIMES EPOXY, VARNISH, SCHELACK......DEPENDS ON THE YEAR OF THE TRANSFORMER...........ONCE THE PAPER IS GONE THE ONLY THING PROTECTING THE WINDINGS IS THE INSULATION ONE LITTLE CHIP OR NICK AND AS THE OLD ONE SAID IT WILL SHORT AND SMOKE IF THEY TOUCH OR GET A DIALETIC PATH BETWEEN THEM...............I WOULD GET IT TO A REPAIR SHOP AND HAVE IT REINSULATED.............HAHAHA.....THE SMOKE GETS OUT HAHAHA... THEN IT WILL BE DONE FOR, SURE MOST LIKELY.........I LIKE THAT SAYING............................WHEN THE SMOKE GET OUT......ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

insulation

Rock, this is a Miller Model 88, made in 1968. What was used then? Any idea what cost would be to re-wrap?

Comment

HI COPE..............LAST TIME I TALKED TO YOU WAS ON ANDY'S WEB SITE.......NA NO IDEA ON COST........WHAT EVER MARKET WILL BEAR........PROABABLY A NON CONDUCTIVE TYPE PAPER. I SURE THEY CAN REINSULATE FOR YOU...........WHAT THEY WOULD USE NOW A DAYS IS UNKNOWN.............A MULTITUDE OF PROCESSES TO USE INCLUDEING EPOXY AND RTV TYPE INSULATEING SILICONE AND JELLS...........ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X