Converting to mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to mig

I have a HH 120 that I bought used and I was wondering what was necessary to convert it to run gas. I know I need a regulator and hose but I didnt know if the liner needs to be changed or what kind of liner to use. Also I have seen something called a nozzle insulator or adaptor, is this necessary to attach the nozzle? I have used flux core for a while and am not happy with the quality of beads, I have heard that using solid wire reduces smoke and splatter. Thanks for any info.

converting to MIG

You will need to change the jumper inside the machine. You should be able to download a manual from the main Hobart site. Assuming the machine has a solenid already, all else you should need is a regulator, hose and gas. Gun and liner remain the same.

Comment

Re: Converting to mig

You can use your present liner for solid wire. With solid wire it will stay clean longer. Good idea to remove liner and blow it out. Loosen set screws holding liner at torch end also.

HH120 used a Piecemaker Brand torch from OXO. Many dealers stopped stocking spare parts for that gun. Keep more spares on hand and find new ones before really need them. Some think piecemaker is better torch than what is now used on HH135.
      http://www.oxoguns.com/products.htm
      Here is another source for piecemaker torch consumables.
      http://www.usaweld.com/product_page/...ts/hobart.html
      Torch switch needs replacement also after lots of use.

Comment

HI FARMBOY...........WELCOME ABOARD, YES OXO IS STILL IN BUSINESS AND OWNED BY THE ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS. PARTS ARE STILL AVAILABLE THRU THEM, AND MANY OTHERS. TRY AMERICAN TORCH AND TIP THEY HAVE READY SUPPLY OF PARTS.

IF YOU GO TO HARD WIRE IT IS TRUE YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE YOUR POLARITY. REFERENCE THE INSTRUCTIONS UNDER THE DOOR IT SHOWS YOU HOW TO DO IT. TEFLON LINERS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THE GUN THRU MILLER ELECTRIC AND QUITE A FEW OTHERS. THE TEFLON LINER IS FOR ALUMINUM ONLY NOW IF YOUR JUST LEARNING I WOULD SUGGEST ON ALUMINUM YOU HOLD OFF UNTIL YOU GET THE OTHER TECHNIQUES DIALED IN AND BECOME PROFECIENT AT THEM...............GOOD LUCK.....ROCK
        [email protected]

Comment

The Handler 120 has a gas solinoid aready installed. All you need is the gas regulator and a bottle of gas. I would reccomend the C25 gas which is a mix of 75% Argon 25% Co2. This will give you less spatter and a cleaner weld. As for the Nozzle YES you have to use one. This directs the gas into the weld puddle to take the Oxygen away from the material so it will bond. If not it will just pile on top and not penetrate.
          Thanks
          Dave Evans

Comment

Working...
          X