Hobart VS Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart VS Lincoln

No it is not an up coming fight. I am new to the welding scene and plan on getting a welder mostley for auto work and such. been looking at the hobart 135 or the lincoln 135 migs. anyone have one of these welders? Any sugs on witch one would be better or are they both about the same thing?

Get the lincoln

sp135plus.I know its the hobart site,but you had to ask.Don't get any other lincoln also.They are not the same.Weld with both no contest.You can also throw the mm135 in there also.Lincoln really has got their little sp135 plus dialed in.You can get the hobart cheaper,but you did not ask that.

Ok,let the flames begin.

Comment

I have the HH135 myself and love it. If I were to do it again, I still would have gotten a 110v unit for the portabliity factor, but would have spent the extra 75 or so dollars and gotten the miller. But I live about 30 miles away from Troy, Ohio home of Hobart, and the local welding shop has great support for hobart products. But like you will notice on past post on this subject, Its hard to go wrong with the top 3. Miller, Hobart, Lincoln. Good luck and happy welding.
      Thanks
      Gary Wolboldt

Comment

Re: Hobart VS Lincoln

Originally posted by wheat worth
        No it is not an up coming fight. I am new to the welding scene and plan on getting a welder mostley for auto work and such. been looking at the hobart 135 or the lincoln 135 migs. anyone have one of these welders? Any sugs on witch one would be better or are they both about the same thing?
        I have a HH 175 and love it, but I am with GWOL, as long as you stick with the top three, you can't go wrong.
        ROCK

Comment

Re: Get the lincoln

Originally posted by Scott V
          sp135plus.I know its the hobart site,but you had to ask.Don't get any other lincoln also.They are not the same.Weld with both no contest.You can also throw the mm135 in there also.Lincoln really has got their little sp135 plus dialed in.You can get the hobart cheaper,but you did not ask that.

Ok,let the flames begin.
          Scott, I am curious. What is different about the sp135plus and the 100, 135 and 175 lincoln?

Bob
          Short Term Memory GONE!!
          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
          Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

135+ vs 135T

Bob, The lincoln SP135+ is a more heavy duty unit than the SP135T, the + has continous voltage control, a better drive motor, a heavier duty switch and input cable as well as other componets inside which are heavier duty. This is the same on the SP175+ vs the SP175T. The retail products (ones avail at places other than a welding supply company) such as the Weld-Pak 100, MIG-PAK 10, Pro-Core 100 are about the same as the t series. As far as duty cycle and such, by the numbers Lincoln gives, the + and T series are essentially the same.

wheat worth, I agree with the others, any of the big three are good to go with, also keep in mind local support, you want someplace to go if something were to happen. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Comment

Looks like Brian said it all.I will say a couple of things about the lincoln it has a lower amp range,and no auto tracking for more adjustablity.For bodywork thats important.Also my friend at the welding store was messing with some .023 stainless,and using a sp135 plus.He was trying to get a flat weld bead so he changed gas,and was able to get a spray arc out of the sp135 plus.That kind of shocked him.That is outstanding performance out of a 120 volt welder.Anybody try that with your mm 135?

Comment

i looked at lincoln,hobart,@miller.we have two supply stores one handles lincoln and one handles miller, both have good service but the store who handles miller told me to go to lincolns website, thats all he said. i did, i then went to hobarts website. i bought a miller! chumly.

Comment

What,he should of told you is try welding with both,not go to a website.Thats why I like my welding store they have both machines so you can try them side by side.Thats why I bought the lincoln.

Comment

lincoln

Scott, does your model have the same plastic wire feed assembly as the discount store models?

Comment

Cope,Its different,but still a composite.If you look at the T model,lowes,home depot one the feed motor is gear driven on the cheaper ones.the sp135/175 plus is direct drive.Also if you look at the miller 135/175 setup its cast alright,but its bolted to a plastic cover.The miller 210 has the setup,the plastic cover is replaced with a piece of aluminum.The real thing that matters is how it feeds the wire.It does fine.So for some people its the cast aluminum rolls,and for other people its which one welds better.I fall into the second group.By the way the plastic parts on the lincoln is about twenty dollars.

Comment

Automotive sheetmetal is one of those times were I think that a variable voltage control is definately going to be an advantage to have on a machine, so that you can tighten up the arc as much as possible. So, my suggestion would be to go to your local welding store and give the MM 135 and Lincoln SP 135 a try and see which machine you like best. For that matter, it wouldn t hurt to give the HH 135 a try too so that you ll never question whether or not you got the best of the 3. For automotive sheetmetal too you might think about giving a C10 or C15 shielding gas a try over C25, because the lower Co2 content will help reduce penetration.
                        Last edited by Dan; 01-12-2003, 05:48 AM.
                        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan,I think you have the best answer.That is to weld with all three.I have used 90/10,and 85/15 argon/co2 with my small welders before.I really like the 85/15 the best,atleast with my miller 130s both models.The lincolns go so low that you have to turn them up to get the wire to melt.thats with .023 wire.

Comment

Working...
                          X