****ed Lightning, Fired my 135

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****ed Lightning, Fired my 135

I made the mistake of leaving my HH 135 plugged in when one of those hardly ever thunder storms came through and viola, no mo workey. Of course the ****ed thing has all of an hour time on it which pisses me off even more. It runs fan wise and the switch is clicking both on the gun and the circuit board within. There is some sort of switch on the board that clicks accordingly. What it doesn't do is give power or feed to the wire. I even removed the reel and it just sits there making no effort to feed. One thing I did not notice was the usual accompanying smell of fried circuitry, something I have lots of recent acquaintance with elsewhere around the house. Idon't see a fuse on there anyplace visible.
    Any grand ideas on how to fix this without getting overly $$$$. I bought it mail order from IOC for what thats worth. ( No lectures please on buying locally ect... as around here there is no loyalty and you bleed just as bad either way)

well at least your on the right board. give them a call about R&R ing the board and get back into the fun!

Comment

drizler,

Give me a call @ 1-800-332-3281 or e-mail me

Keith

Comment

Lightning doesn't have to fry things. Just the "static" electricity will zap the electronics. The lightning "strike" can be some distance away and yet the electrical charge can kill your computer, modems and welder boards. My computer modems are favorites. Surge protectors can help but are not foolproof.

Direct hits that sets your living room carpet on fire is also an eye opener.

Your welder warranty or your insurance should help.
        Jim-bee

Comment

Originally posted by James D. Clark
          Direct hits that sets your living room carpet on fire is also an eye opener.
          Something tells me James has a whole 'nother story there
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

No Carpets On Fire But Close enough Though

Last week another one came through and did much the same. This time it came in through the ground. It jumped 3 ' from the steel dryer exhaust vent and gave my daghters friend a nasty jolt standing in the basement on a carpeted floor. She grabbed my daughter and they both got to share the fun. Amazing how this stuff does its thing, you aren't safe anywhere.

Comment

Drizler, someone mentioned you insurance should help. If this is an at home welder I would think twice about making a claim. Welding at home is a general no-no with homeowners policies. Before making direct contact with your company for a claim make an anonymous call and ask a few questions about homeowner policy coverage and welders. Good luck. Uncrichie...

Comment

I hate that ****ed lightning
                Even when you strive for perfection the results are marginal.
                So one must at least strive for perfection. And I still love the smell of 5P in the morning!

Comment

****, I don't know about New York but here in Texas no insurer is writing homeowner policies with less than a $1000 deductible these days, except you can occasionally find a $500 deduc for a considerable increase in premium. Either way, that would be kind of a moot point for a HH135.
                  Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Updating a couple of ground rods wouldnt hurt.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I have been thinking about some more rods

I think I put 1 in which is code but heres the rub. Its cut in half cause you me and a pissed off midget with a rock drill aint going deeper. The floor of my basement is poured directly on shale ledge which is smooth as a babys ***. Welcome to NY, land of nothing but taxes and rock. I cut it in half and pounded in both halves which is what 5'. There is a web site someplace run by a guy who has been putting them in for 30 years. He says he fixes most electric fence problems by quadrupling the grounding rods. Something about one being just not truly grounded. Maby he has a point. Because I like critters more than people we have our place set back 1000' from the road which makes a nice powerline magnet I am told
                      Most of my strikes come through the power line, my wife got knocked on her *** once and the storm wasn't even near by. It sounded like someone tossed a cherry bomb in the wall. Best of all I live in a valley near a lake and thunderstorms usually go around us. As for insurance its not really worth it for a couple 15 dollar phones, some wire and a toasted $430 welder. Sometimes its just better to stay in bed.........

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer
                        ****, I don't know about New York but here in Texas no insurer is writing homeowner policies with less than a $1000 deductible these days, except you can occasionally find a $500 deduc for a considerable increase in premium. Either way, that would be kind of a moot point for a HH135.
                        I've had a $250 deductible replacement cost policy since 1986.

Comment

I had one too, Cope, but if you change carriers you'll find that's no longer available. When I ditched Farmer's over their infantile temper tantrum, all the companies I got quotes from asked me what my deductible was - when I said $250, they looked at me like I had three heads and said "No, you must be mistaken." Showed them the paperwork and they were all aghast and said "Well you ain't getting that THAT anymore."

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

drive a couple more rods (or more)at an angle if you have to. Use a new piece of wire and go continiously from the panel thru all the clamps. You can also bury steel plates or best is a ground ring all the way around your house, number 2 copper wire. If this happened more than once I would be quite inclined to trench and ground ring if I had to. Then I would put whole panel surge suppressor (SQ D about 20$ wholesale at electric supply) on my main panel.
                            Last edited by Sberry; 07-15-2004, 10:05 PM.
                            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer
                              Something tells me James has a whole 'nother story there

Yes, lightning is bad stuff. It was a Sunday afternoon in the spring over 35 years ago. The living room carpet was only a week or so old. My family was sitting, watching TV. Heard a big crack noise but no boom. The TV twin lead ran from a wall plug to the TV. It exploded, the wire in the twin lead blew out like a wire brush from the wall to the TV and the carpet caught fire. It was new and had a fire retardant and there was only a flash fire and it went out. I still jumped up and stomped on the fire.

Of coarse the TV and the lamp in the room went dead. Ligthning had made a direct hit on the transformer pole behind the house about 150 feet. Also up hill from the house. The lightning bolt came down the power service wires and also the phone coax. Blew ALL the copper conducter out of the coax and the rubber covering ran limp from the pole to the house on the ground. It still was attached at the roof. It blew puffs of copper out of the phone drop which melted the glass in the kitchen window. The phone carbons exploded and blew the phone box cover flat from it's pan shape and sent it back of the house about 40 feet.

The lightning traveled along the drip strips at the roof edge around the roof to the TV twin lead which was coming from an antenna on a tower. The lightning snake bit the twin lead and followed the wire into the attic, down inside the living room wall and out the wall plug to the TV. Lightning got the TV from both ends. Fried the power supply and the tuner.

Burnt out a 3 way light bulb on the side the was on. Also got the primary winding on the low voltage light switch transformer and a neon lamp on the washing machine. BLEW THE GLASS FACE OFF a fuse in the fuse box. The picture is of the steel door on the fuse box. The explosion dented the door which is about 18 ga. and the marks are still there of the spatter from the glass and fuse metal. Actually BLEW two fuses-really! Just lightning trying to get to my ground rod.

Also loosened and cracked some trim and soffet around the roof. My wife had phone company repairmen-6 of them- going through the house the next day shaking their heads.
                              Jim-bee

Comment

Working...
                              X