3m weld through primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3m weld through primer

I am a new welder (experience one auto floor pan replacement) and have a question regarding 3m weld through primer. I applied per directions and having a terrible time with my welds. Is this stuff causing some of my poor welds? Anyone have any recomendations regarding this product?

What process are you using, are you spot welding, useing fluxcore, or what? More information is needed here. Ed.
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

WELL MOST PRIMERS ACT AS AN INSULATOR.................... SOME PRIMERS THOUGH CAN BE WELDED OVER I KNOW DUPONT HAS ONE OUT.................. YOU MAY NEED TO CLEAN THE WELDING EDGE OFF ......................USE A GRINDER ETC............... HAVE YOU USED THE WELDER ON ANOTHER PIECE OF UNTREATED METAL TO ELIMINATE THAT SECTION OF THE EQUASION......................ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

I had a heck of a time with that weld-thru stuff when I did my car's floor pans. If you follow the directions, you'll end up with nasty, contaminated, splattered welds everywhere (MIG). I then tried it with just a very light coat and it worked much better, but the welds were still much uglier than without it. Weld porosity was also bad. I ended up stripping it all off and not using it. Instead I used lots of 3M seam sealer and POR-15 to seal the weld seams.

I think the weld-thru primer is more for spot-welding (like the original welds on the car) vs. MIG (GMAW), as the arc burns it away and it contaminates the pool.

Mike

Comment

puddle, rather.

Comment

Working...
          X