hot MIG gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot MIG gun

My welder has a Tweco #1 gun. Occasionally the gun is hot, that is, I get an arc if I touch the workpeice, even though I have not depressed the trigger. Besides a bad trigger, is there anything else that could cause this?

Are you sure that the gus is actually "hot". Sometimes there is some residual current in the lead which will create a small arc when touched to the work piece. It is almost like shuffling your feet on the carpet and touching a grounded object. If that's all it is, there is nothing to worry about.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

I agree with Arbo. My gun does it also, its just the capaciters discharging. ZAP!!
      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

hot MIG

I'm not sure. This isn't the same thing as re-touching the work piece with a hot wire that sparks. I am not going to take the gun apart with the machine running to see if I get voltage across the switch. When I check it w/o power, it has no resistance. It could be the capacitors, but it never did this before last week. One more thing, after it arcs, I can cut off the end and it will arc again. It gets the wire red hot for an inch or so.
        Last edited by cope; 01-06-2003, 01:32 PM.

Comment

That welding gun is Hot, not sure of the brand but if it didn't used to do this than the gun relay could be shorted and on all the time.

I do not think its the gun switch because it feeds wire only when you depress the switch, that's correct, isn't it?

Comment

That's good to know, explains why they cost less too.

Comment

Some century wire feed welders don't have contactor and always have hot electrode. Other centurywelders have contactor. Contactor is expensive part that I would rather have in my MIG welder.

Comment

You did not state what power source you have. Some models are capable of process other than mig. If you have one of these, there should be a switch on the power source labeled output. This should be set to remote when using a mig gun.
                D. Paulson

Comment

Power source

My welder is a PowCon with SMAW, GMAW and FCAW/GMAW spray transfer. In the SMAW mode the electrode holder is hot. In SMAW and FCAW the gun is supposed to be cold until the trigger is pressed. The problem wasn't there after I posted today, and has been intermittant for the past couple of weeks. I guess the process switch could be bad??

Comment

HI COPE.......HAVEING WORKED FOR POWCON FOR AWHILE I CAN TELL YOU THAT YOUR ASSUMPTION IS CORRECT..........I BELIEVE YOU CAN STILL GET ANY PART YOU NEED BY CALLING IAN MASCARENIAS AT ARC PRODUCTS IN SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA.... HE AND I WORKED TOGETHER FOR AWHILE AT POWCON AND THEY PURCHASED THE RIGHTS FROM ITW TO MANUFACTURE AND REMANUFACTURED PARTS FOR THESE WELDERS.....SOME PARTS THEY STILL SELL THEIR NUMBER IS 619-628-1022......TELL IAN I SAID HIGH..............................ROCK
                    [email protected]

Comment

Rock

I sprayed the process switch with contact cleaner and the problem went away; of course, it is a sporadic problem anyway. I have been corresponding with Ian for a day or two now. I bought this welder used and just got around to ordering the manuals for it and the PD1. $40 for the pair was steep IMHO, but there was a lot of good info in both.

What is your opinoion of this welder. I have heard good and bad from dealers. I don't think I did bad; only paid $150 for the machine.

Comment

COPE........WELL I WOULD SAY YOU DID PRETTY GOOD AT THAT PRICE. THEY COST CONSIDERABLY MORE THAN THAT WHEN THE WERE BEING SOLD NEW, AND YOU GOT A WIRE FEEDER WITH IT ALSO................NOT BAD.........IF OR WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN AND IT COSTS A LOT TO FIX YOU CAN JUST SCRAP IT OUT AND BUY SOMETHING NEW, OR USED. HOPEFULLY BEFORE THE UNIT FAILS YOU CAN MAKE SEVERAL PROJECTS WITH IT AND IT WILL OF PAYED FOR ITSELF BY THEN AND EVEN MADE YOU A BUCK OR TWO...............................HAVE FUN..........ROCK
                        [email protected]

Comment

Rock

Ian sent me info to troubleshoot the switch. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X