champion 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champion 16

Just was given up an old broken down champ 16. It took a week or more of disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling, but I got it running really good. I also got the generator working and the the stick welding all rigged up. Nice welds! Now, what are good options to add MIG and TIG capabilities? Jim
    Jim Smith
    US Navy (ret)
    Certifiable Jack of all Trades

Re: champion 16

Originally posted by Jim Smith
    Just was given up an old broken down champ 16. It took a week or more of disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling, but I got it running really good. I also got the generator working and the the stick welding all rigged up. Nice welds! Now, what are good options to add MIG and TIG capabilities? Jim
    Jim...I think will has done this to his. He should be around sometime today..

Bob
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Good news and bad news....Tig is easy, just get a torch, regulator, and a bottle of argon. The bad news is you have no remote for the current, no high frequency(scratch start only), and the torch is hot all the time(no contactor). In spite of all of that it works pretty well.

MIG is another story. Miller just brought out the 3045FC wire feeder. It is about $650 retail. Add the gas solenoid kit for another $50, a bottle of C25 and a regulator and you have a 225 amp MIG welder. You can do flux core if you don't want the gas. BUT...for the same money, you can get a MM175. It will run off the generator or plug in at home.

The Champ is pretty useful since it is CC, CV and a 8000 watt 120/240 generator. I love mine...I bought it new 3 or 4 years ago, and it only cost about $300 more than the cost of a 8000w generator I was thinking about buying.

Comment

Jim,
        I am curoius...what repairs were required on the Champ? Just wondering what the future may hold for mine when it gets old.
        Thanks.

Comment

Will, first off it was just dirty beyond description. We all know that dirt is any machines (not just welders) biggest enemy. So I spent 20+ hours disassembling , cleaning, and reassembling the electric part of the box. A good stiff brush and an air compressor work wonders. That seemed to be the biggest problem. Every thing was just so gummed up. Then I had to replace all 4 of the bolts holding on the muffler cause they were missing. I changed the stuff that was suppose to be oil. replaced all of the filters. Some fresh gasoline a little marvel mystery oil in the fuel tohelp clean it out. hit the switch and wa-la. A lot smoke a couple of chug-a chug-a and varoom 120v 60hz. I hung new connectors, wires, and clamps on it and a welding we will go. I have to admit, I was more than surprsed! I still have to replace the muffler ($119) cause it sounds like a tank and adjust the carb a bit. Oh and it's still really ugly from being left out doors uncovered for 5 years. The price was right. I win for someone elses neglect. So I guess the bottom line is nothing major that could not have been prevented by doing a little preventitive maintenance.
          I alreaddy have a Stick mate LX that I bought a couple of years ago, so this is a nice addition to the family. Especially since we live out in the sticks and loose power alot. Jim
          Jim Smith
          US Navy (ret)
          Certifiable Jack of all Trades

Comment

JIM GLAD YOU LIKE THAT UNIT...............MILLER/HOBART MADE A BUNCH OF THEM..........THE NEW FLUXCORED FEEDER YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT IS A NICE LITTLE ADDITION TO THE VOLTAGE SENSING FEEDERS...............SALES SEEM GOOD THOUGH........WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES AOBUT SPRING. ACTUALLY I THINK I'LL PICK ONE UP FOR MYSELF THE 3045FC, I KNOW THE GUYS WHO DESIGNED IT I THINK IT SHOULD HOLD UP WELL ...............ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X