Miller Autodark helmet not working.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Autodark helmet not working.

You old timers will remember when I broke both my feet, back in '04, and several of you together with Hobart sent me a Miller autodark helmet when I was in the hospital. Well, I still have it, but I never used it too much, since it means a lot to me, and I didn't want it to get messed up. Well, I took it out yesterday, and changed the batteries, and it doesn't work. Press the on button and it is supposed to change a little so that you know it's working, but it doesn't. Do these just go bad? Is there some secret that I can use to wake it up? Anyone have any idea? Or do I just have to get a new lens pack?
    Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
    IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Are you sure it's the kind that does something to verify it's working? Try to weld with it yet?

Comment

I had a auto dark helmet lose it ability to darken because batteries failed and it seems the solar cell would not charge batteries or the big round cells (quarter size ) just died from time, helmet was something like 5 years old (was not miller)... Some comments on line was that these helmets need to be kept charged by setting them out in sun once in a while, apparently in shop they don't get proper lighting to charge batteries....Got cheap replacement sensor/lens assembly that uses 4 AAA batteries and I can replace them any time it stops working and new lens assembly has a test button to cause it to darken if test need be...

I know most of my post does not apply to you Miller helmet but the batteries just "may" be the problem... After all batteries do not have infinite life...

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Miller had a problem with some brands of batteries. The Panasonic and Sony work; it is a problem with the shape being just a bit different. This pertains to the Elite series. Also the battery holders can't be swapped from left to right even though they will fit. If you have one of the Elite helmets, try moving the holders that contain the battery to the other side.

Hmm, the new format won't let you post a link to a particular thread . OK so....If you go to the "Helmet" section of the forum and find the post "Need new helmet" dated 11/21, it has this information. Hope that's all it is for your helmet.

And the emoticons (smiley faces) don't work for me either.....
        CanoeCruiser
        Harris dual-stage O/A
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Hobart IronMan 210
        Lincoln PowerMig 135
        Miller 3035 spoolgun
        Thermal Arc 185
        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          Are you sure it's the kind that does something to verify it's working? Try to weld with it yet?
          Yeah, when you turn it on, it should darken just a tad, that lets you know it's on.

Comment

Originally posted by canoecruiser View Post
            Miller had a problem with some brands of batteries. The Panasonic and Sony work; it is a problem with the shape being just a bit different. This pertains to the Elite series. Also the battery holders can't be swapped from left to right even though they will fit. If you have one of the Elite helmets, try moving the holders that contain the battery to the other side.

Hmm, the new format won't let you post a link to a particular thread . OK so....If you go to the "Helmet" section of the forum and find the post "Need new helmet" dated 11/21, it has this information. Hope that's all it is for your helmet.

And the emoticons (smiley faces) don't work for me either.....
            It is the Elite, and I swaped the batts and still no go. I even roughed up the contacts, real careful...no go.

Comment

Hey Rocky - I've got an old Pipeliner helmet I can send you! How are you making out?

Mow

Comment

Rocky, if you still have the older batteries, compare them to the new ones. There were two issues that caused trouble with the Elite helmets; one the helmet being picky about the height of the battery case, the other being the battery fixtures. Miller put out a technical bulletin on the battery size problem. The Korean company that supplied the autodark module did goof up on those design aspects.
                CanoeCruiser
                Harris dual-stage O/A
                Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                Hobart IronMan 210
                Lincoln PowerMig 135
                Miller 3035 spoolgun
                Thermal Arc 185
                Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by Mowjunk View Post
                  Hey Rocky - I've got an old Pipeliner helmet I can send you! How are you making out?

Mow
                  Hey Mow...good to hear from you ol' buddy. Them ol' Pipeliner helmets are way too heavy for me. That's why I go with Speedglas

Comment

I've doing good and working hard to stay out of trouble! Went back to work in the sugar cane business for fun mostly but I do get a paycheck every now and then. I also still work on the small engines and mowers at night.

This is my ride!

Are you still raising those great pups?

Mow
                    Last edited by Mowjunk; 01-05-2018, 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling is not my forte!

Comment

And I'm not too much good on posting pictures!!! LOL!

Mow

Comment

This is what I have found ... Go to the big "A" button for Advanced editor..

The press "image" button (red circle) and select "up load" (yellow circle) and do upload, them press "send to server" and proceed from there and hope for best....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	699136
                        Good Luck

Dale
                        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Thanks Dale -- I'll give it a go. I knew there was something I was missing....

Mow

Comment

Originally posted by Mowjunk View Post
                            I've doing good and working hard to stay out of trouble! Went back to work in the sugar cane business for fun mostly but I do get a paycheck every now and then. I also still work on the small engines and mowers at night.

This is my ride!

Are you still raising those great pups?

Mow
                            That's one helluva ride mower, Mow!!

Comment

Rocky,

Now that my eyes are creeping up on 50 yrs old, I am continually monitoring the improvements being made to AD lenses, and trying to find the best quality lens, view wise, that is reasonably priced. By reasonably price, I mean falls in the price range that won't upset my Wife if I buy it.

Anyway last week, I picked up one of Miller's newly released Digital Elite hoods with the ClearLight technology lens. I got to try the lens out last night with AC TIG, repairing some two step aluminum stands. What I saw through the lens while welding was quite impressive. With a shade 10 or 11 setting, I could see the silver color of the aluminum stand, along with the silver color of the weld bead and the weld puddle. The over all view is also very clear and well defined.
                              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
                              X