Question on new MM 175 and different wires and settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on new MM 175 and different wires and settings

Hey guys. Just got my new MM fired up this eve and I have a couple of questions that maybe you can answer for me.

1. I have two 10lb spools of wire. One is made by Harris. It's flux core .030 E71T-GS. This spool fits nicely on the spool mount and when the collar is on and locked it stays engage to the knob that sticks out on the back of the adapter. The second spool is "Weld-It" ER70S-6. This spool is to narrow to stay tight against the spool adapter and wants to just slipped. I got around it by making a card board shim to make up the difference and it works well. Just wondering why the difference? Anyone?
    Here is a pic of the what I had to do.
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Different spool manufacturer I think. My mm200 wont fit under a 30 pounder without some sort of collar to fill up the space, so I made one out of a pipe cap and some plastic trim for car fenders

Comment

Hmm..thans odd that the Harris fit with no problem and the "Weld-it" needed a shim to be tight. I see that "Weld-It" is made by Hobart. Weird...

Thanks for the response.
      Short Term Memory GONE!!
      Hobby Weldor/Machinist
      Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Ok...guess I should have taken a closer look at the manual before posting this question....I just found the answer on page 17 of the owners manual. It has a not that shows a user supplied spacer if spool does not stay on adapter locking pin.

DUH!!

Bob
        Short Term Memory GONE!!
        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

user supplied spacer

Bob, that cardboard spacer may void your warranty. Check w/Miller before using it.

Comment

Hmmm...the manual says to use a user supplied spacer....doesn't specify what it should be made out of. I am going to pick up some pcv tomorrow and slice it thin anyway...wonder what they would say about that.hmmm...I sent them email and got a response back saying I will not get information till the holidays are over. Guess they are on vacation.

Bob
            Last edited by deere_x475guy; 12-27-2002, 05:51 AM.
            Short Term Memory GONE!!
            Hobby Weldor/Machinist
            Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Originally posted by deere_x475guy
              Hmmm...the manual says to use a user supplied spacer....does specify what it should be made out of. I am going to pick up some pcv tomorrow and slice it thin anyway...wonder what they would say about that.hmmm...I sent them email and got a response back saying I will not get information till the holidays are over. Guess they are on vacation.

Bob
              Bob

I took a look at the MM 175 manual, and it looks like the spacer should have been supplied with the machine.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan, where did you find that info. My manual that came with the machine says it is user supplied. Course it says the same thing for the line coming from the tank to the unit and it was there. Are there any Miller/Hobart tech guys on here that can tell me if the card board shim is ok?

Thanks...
                Bob
                Short Term Memory GONE!!
                Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Originally posted by deere_x475guy
                  Dan, where did you find that info. My manual that came with the machine says it is user supplied. Course it says the same thing for the line coming from the tank to the unit and it was there. Are there any Miller/Hobart tech guys on here that can tell me if the card board shim is ok?

Thanks...
                  Bob
                  Bob

Page 17 from the MM 175 manual that I downloaded from the Miller website states: use supplied spacer if the spool doesnt stay on the adapter locating pin.

Also, on page 40 is an exploded veiw of the machine, and page 42 (parts list) states that part # 43 is a spacer for the spool hub
                  MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                  Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I don't see a problem with your cardboard spacer, as long as it doesn't create extra drag on the spool. As far as the warranty goes, if something does go wrong make sure the spqacer is gone before taking it for service.
                    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
                    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

cardboard shim

Bob, my reply regarding warranty was meant to be humor. Guess it was too late at night. Your dealer should be able to supply you with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan

Bob

Page 17 from the MM 175 manual that I downloaded from the Miller website states: use supplied spacer if the spool doesnt stay on the adapter locating pin.

Also, on page 40 is an exploded veiw of the machine, and page 42 (parts list) states that part # 43 is a spacer for the spool hub
                        UGH!!..your right it does say use supplied spacer...not "USER" supplied.....one of my senior moments...lol..

Hmm...didn't get that spacer. I will contact the distributor today...thanks

Bob
                        Last edited by deere_x475guy; 12-27-2002, 07:29 AM.
                        Short Term Memory GONE!!
                        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Re: cardboard shim

Originally posted by cope
                          Bob, my reply regarding warranty was meant to be humor. Guess it was too late at night. Your dealer should be able to supply you with one.
                          LOL Cope...
                          Short Term Memory GONE!!
                          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                          Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Spool spacer

Bob,
                            We do have a spacer available for that unit. Please give me a call or e-mail your address to me and I'll get a spacer sent out to you. Happy holidays and Happy welding.

Kevin Schuh
                            Ph.(920)735-4505
                            e-mail [email protected]

Comment

Kevin..thanks. The BOC dealer gave me a surprise sales follow up call this morning just to see if I got everything set up ok and if I needed any assistance. I was totally blown away with this kind of service. I told him about the spacer and he said he would be getting me one. In the mean time is it ok to use that cardboard till it comes in?

I guess when I get my Plasma cutter they will certainly be getting my business.....

Will....great advise on taking me there...thanks

Bob
                              Short Term Memory GONE!!
                              Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                              Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Working...
                              X