Powr-Mate 90 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powr-Mate 90 amp

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Mig Welder I have..

It's a Powr-Mate 90 amp.. 120v
    It's tan with a brown lid.
    the lid opens on top and the spool lays flat on a spindle inside.
    It has a Tweco Mini-Mig gun and uses gas (not a flux core)..

I don't know much else about it.

I picked it up used from a friend about 9 years ago for $125

I'd post a picture but my wife took the digital camera with her today..

I haven't had any problems with it but if anything comes up it'll be nice to have some idea where it came from and how well it's built.
    Scott Schering
    http://www.pontiacs.org

Your description sounds alot like a Schumacher that I had some years back, mine was of indifferent quality, but would most likely still be working had I not forgotten that it was sitting on the rear bumper of one of my trucks,I drove off down the highway hit a bump at speed, and watched the welder grenade itself.
    Does yours have the contactor, or is your gun always hot? Also did yours come with a holder for a gas bottle on the back? Mine had both.
    Schumacher made commercial battery chargers for along time, I don't know about how long they made welders, or if they are still in bussiness.
    Ed.
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Thanks for the tips..

Yes it does have a contactor and a bottle stand on the back.
      Here are some pics.. Click on them for a larger image.

Yes I need to clean the garage.. Right now if I have something to work on I haul it out the the driveway.

It had wheels before. the rear axle passed through the case and it had 2 castors in the front..

since the bottle stand extends off the back behind the rear axle a large bottle would cause it tip backwards..

The rear wheels were cracked so I just removed all the wheels and started working on a cart. I wound up taking an old cheep hand truck and turning it into a cart.. I still need to chop the frame of the cart and move the front castors up to the edge of the case.. right now if I take the bottle off it's nose heavy and will tip foreward.

I also need to get some angle iron and build a box to hold the case better.. Right now it's bolted to the cart through the bottle rack If it gets tipped it'll wiggle around a bit..
      Last edited by pontiac; 12-25-2002, 02:12 AM.
      Scott Schering
      http://www.pontiacs.org

Comment

Working...
      X