Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 volt socket question

Hi,

Just bought a 175 welder and the only 220 socket in the house is in the garage for the dryer.

What I'd like to do is hook up a Y-splitter to this socket, leaving the dryer plugged into one and having the other end of the Y available for using with my welder when I need it. Not both at the same time of course, I'm just trying to avoid having to pull the dryer away from the wall every time I want to weld. Is this legal or safe? If so, anyone know where I can buy that kind of splitter?

If the wiring was done properly, I guess it would be safe, though technically, each of these should be on a dedicated circuit. But you've already given your reasons why you want to do it your way, so let's work within those parameters.

First, you won't be able to buy that; you'd have to make it.

Which type of dryer outlet do you have? An older one has 3 holes: two hots and a ground, and the hots are slanted toward each other. A newer one has 4 holes: two hots, 1 neutral, and a ground, all of them straight.

Your welder wants a 50-amp receptacle, though it will only need a 20-amp circuit (and wiring.)

To be honest, you should have an electrician friend build you what you want, but better yet, he can tell you how it's probably easier than you might think to run a dedicated new line in from the panel.

Comment

Well I rent, so running a dedicated circuit isn't really an option. I might be able to get permission from my landlord, but I'd rather not spend the time and money on a place that I don't own or plan on living in that much longer.

I have an older 220 socket with two slanted prongs.

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll look into making one.

Comment

Running another circuit isnt all that difficult, 1 piece of wire, a recept and a breaker. I would do that before I made an adapter. In this situation it isnt a legal install to hook 2 devices to a dedicated circuit although it will work.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Since you are renting you do not want to modify the existing wiring.
          You buy a dryer cord and plug that match the existing set and you buy a welder receptacle that matches your welder .
          get one extra box and enough box connectors and splices. Get enough wire to reach your welder plus 2 extra feet for splices. The wire should be sized to the house breaker as it will be carrying full breaker current if a fault happens in this part of the circuit.
          Wire the new dryer cord into a box. Wire the new dryer receptacle into a second box with a short wire (cut from your new wire) that goes into the box with the new dryer lead in it.
          wire the welder receptacle in the third box with the rest of the wire and run it to your welding area put the other end into the box with the dryer cord in it. Connect three reds together , three blacks together and four grounds - don't forget the ground to the boxes. If there is a white wires in the cable you buy simply tape it off in each box as it is not used. Insulate the splices as needed then close it up. Unplug the dryer from the house and plug in your new spliter. Plug the dryer into the new dryer receptacle and the welder into its receptacle and
          ITS WELDING TIME.
          When you move the house is unmodified and you have all your wiring with you. Terry

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be gettin the stuff I need from home depot tonight!

Comment

I think I can save you alot of time and money. If your 240 drop for the dryer is from the ceiling your in luck. Move your dryer recepticle above the height of the dryer by a few inches or however much the dryer cord will allow. Now all you have to do is remove the one plug your not using without moving the dryer. Now ask me how I know this works!!! Uncrichie...

Comment

Working...
              X