Tigmate aluminum welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigmate aluminum welding

Has anyone any input on the Hobart Tigmate unit specificly welding aluminum? I'm thinking of purchasing one but would like to here from someone who has some experience with this unit .

I have an Econotig (same as Tigmate just a different color) and aluminum welding leaves something to be desired. I am willing to sell the Econotig to you if you would like. I would really look hard at the new Syncrowave 180 if I were you. The Econotig and Tigmate are really good for DC and ok on the AC if you only do a little aluminum.

Comment

to: bugeyedvaliant

Could you be more specific, I would like to weld thin aluminum from 1/16 to 3/16 . Can your unit do this exceptably. if so tell me about your unit and how much to purchase?

Comment

I own an Econotig too. I personally see nothing wrong with its aluminum weld quality. In my opinion it is more than acceptable. The main difference I see between my Econotig and the squarewave machine that I run at work is that the squarewave machine allows you to produce the weld bead at a much quicker rate, which was kind of strange for me at first because all my aluminum welding experience to that point had been on non squarewave machines like the Econotig. The squarewave produces the weld quicker because of its higher level of arc cleaning action that breaks up the oxide film on the surface of the aluminum. Now the product literature states that the machine is good for aluminum thicknesses of 14 ga. thru 3/16. I know the machine welds 1/8" without any trouble, but 3/16" I don t know about since I have never tried it. I think to do 3/16 you have to give the material a slight preheat. I also, dont understand why the minimum thickness is being rated at 14 ga the machine goes down to 20 amps on the AC side which is more than low enough of an amperage setting for 16 ga. aluminum.

However, after stating all of this I want you to know that I actually wanted a Syncrowave 180, but my wife wouldn t let me spend the $1400, especially since I was able to get the Econotig from my local Praxair for $1039. The other detour was the input circuit requirement. My Econotig will run on my 50 amp circuit, where as to get the full benefit of the 180 I needed some were between a 70 or 80 amp circuit.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I am not saying that the Econotig is that bad, but if I were to do it over again, I would spend the extra for the Syncrowave. On the subject of the thin material, I tried to run a bead on a piece of .050" with my Syncrowave 300 and the same on the econotig. I can run it with the 300 and do whatever I want in the way of running the bead and penetration, but all I get with the Econotig is melt through. I also think that since he says that he will primarily do aluminum that he will like the squarewave a lot more. Try finding a welding shop that can demo both for you to see which you like better. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by BugEyedValiant
            I am not saying that the Econotig is that bad, but if I were to do it over again, I would spend the extra for the Syncrowave. On the subject of the thin material, I tried to run a bead on a piece of .050" with my Syncrowave 300 and the same on the econotig. I can run it with the 300 and do whatever I want in the way of running the bead and penetration, but all I get with the Econotig is melt through. I also think that since he says that he will primarily do aluminum that he will like the squarewave a lot more. Try finding a welding shop that can demo both for you to see which you like better. Just my opinion though.
            BugEyedValiant,

I agree with you 100% that a squarewave machine like the Syncrowave 180 would be a much better choice. As I stated it was the machine that I wanted. Sadly though, some of us have stubborn wives. Actually, I made the mistake and taught her way to much about welding. Anyway, the Econotig works for me because 1/8" aluminum is as thin as I go, and for the thicker material I have a spool gun on my MM 210.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan

BugEyedValiant,

I agree with you 100% that a squarewave machine like the Syncrowave 180 would be a much better choice. As I stated it was the machine that I wanted. Sadly though, some of us have stubborn wives. Actually, I made the mistake and taught her way to much about welding. Anyway, the Econotig works for me because 1/8" aluminum is as thin as I go, and for the thicker material I have a spool gun on my MM 210.
              Oh, NO! Taught yer wife how to weld, Dan??? I keep mine in the dark, so she thinks it's magic what I do with metal!! What I do, is really simple, but if I said I need a new machine, she would go for it. I'm working her up to a new Syncrowave 250!

Comment

Here is the best deal out there!

Nworbar,This the one to try before you spend a dime.I know its the wrong color guys,but it flat blows everything in its class away!

http://www.cyberweld.com/eshel161ac.html

Comment

scott V

which unit are you talking about ? That blows others away.

Comment

ESAB 161 OCV

I have looked at the ESAB unit before, but was concerned about the relatively low 50V OCV rating.

What is the difference to the weldor using a 50V vs an 80-90V OCV???

Thanks!
                    Bill C
                    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

I didn't notice that,but it really ac tig welds great.My Thermalarc Pro-Wave 300 gtsw has a ocv of 64 vac.So I really don't think it means anything.Maybe on stick it might,but I don't think so with all the other adjustments for stick.That is not why I bought mine anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X