Mig wire lubricator and cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig wire lubricator and cleaner

I have heard some talk about using a wire cleaner and or a lubricator used on mig welders, where it is installed between the wire spool and the guide, but I haven't noticed anything like this for sale in any of the stores that I have been in that sell welding suplies. Are there any of you using one of these, and if so what are you using.

Re: Mig wire lubricator and cleaner

Originally posted by gnewby
    I have heard some talk about using a wire cleaner and or a lubricator used on mig welders, where it is installed between the wire spool and the guide, but I haven't noticed anything like this for sale in any of the stores that I have been in that sell welding suplies. Are there any of you using one of these, and if so what are you using.
    The simplest form of this ia a clothes pin and a piece of felt, clamped just before the feed rollers. There is a teflon-based wire lube you can buy, that will put a thin film of teflon on the wire. Some guys like them...I don't. I have found that with copper clad wires there is always some copper flaking off...run 3 or 4, 44# spools through, and you'll see what I mean...when you have this flaking, the wire lube turns it into a goo, that eventually clogs your liner, and stops your wire from going through...just the opposite of what is intended. If your feed rollers are adjusted right, you don't need it, IMHO.

Comment

Rocky D what is the IMHO at the end of your post. The shop mechanic where I work at swears by spraying a little WD 40 down the liner ever once in awhile he said keeps the wire feeding through it better with no sticking etc. looks to me like something like that would also help at gooing things up whats your thoughts.

Comment

Rocky D.

Due liners really last for 3 or 4, 44# spools of wire. One liner should last me a lifetime.

Seems like any liquid lube (wd-40 or teflon spray) would eventually work its way to the tip and burn into goo or ash.
        Maybe a very small amount graphite, but I would pass on wire lubing.

My guess is "In My Humble Opinion" ... sounds like Rocky D.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob; 12-08-2002, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnewby
          Rocky D what is the IMHO at the end of your post. The shop mechanic where I work at swears by spraying a little WD 40 down the liner ever once in awhile he said keeps the wire feeding through it better with no sticking etc. looks to me like something like that would also help at gooing things up whats your thoughts.
          Yeah, Bob guessed it, IMHO=in my humble opinion...chat room abbreviation, like BTW=by the way, LOL=laffing out loud, ROFL=rolling on floor laffing, and I like this one ROFLGO=rolling on floor laffing guts out! And there's lots of others.

I wouldn't spray any petroleum product in the liner that is eventually get to the wire and burn, and make toxic fumes to breathe, not to mention the effect the residue will have on the weld. Just not a good idea, IMHO. As I said before, if you have correct pressure on the feed rollers, it won't be flaking your wire too much, and if it does, being free of goo, you can blow it out with compressed air quite easily.

Comment

I am glad to hear what the IMHO is, I didn't know if it was a typing error or if I was not understanding something that should have been real simple. Sounds like the wire cleaner and lubricator is something I don't or shouldn't need to worry about. I usually keep right after the solid wire until I get it used up, but the flux wire sometimes sits for about 6 months or so without being used, and it is more what I was wondering about useing something on in case it was trying to get rusted up or something. I try to keep the wire inside a cabinet if I am not going to be using it for quite awhile.

Comment

Gnewby,

I commonly run my wire through one of those foam ear plugs before it gets to the inlet guide. You would be surprised what kind of gunk it cleans off of the wire before entering the drive roll. They are cheap and readily available. The more dirt you keep out of the liner, the longer you'll keep welding without trouble.
              Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
              The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Arbo, are you spraying or treating the foam ear plug or using it dry?

Comment

The ones I use appear to be a chunk of felt about 1" in diameter and 1-1/4 inches long that just clip over the wire between the reel and the feed rolls. the lube I have came in a small (about 4 oz) squirt can. clip the felt on on and wet it with the lube. I use my welder intermittently so i figure it will help keep the wire clean. I just give it a few squirts every time I use it. 4 felts and the lube were probably under $10 total.

Comment

I use them right out of the pack. When you run a new spool of wire, just punch the wire thru the ear plug and send it to the drive roll. The plug runs up against the inlet tube and stays there. Very effective!
                    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
                    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
                      I use them right out of the pack. When you run a new spool of wire, just punch the wire thru the ear plug and send it to the drive roll. The plug runs up against the inlet tube and stays there. Very effective!
                      I might give that a try, Thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                        The ones I use appear to be a chunk of felt about 1" in diameter and 1-1/4 inches long that just clip over the wire between the reel and the feed rolls. the lube I have came in a small (about 4 oz) squirt can. clip the felt on on and wet it with the lube. I use my welder intermittently so i figure it will help keep the wire clean. I just give it a few squirts every time I use it. 4 felts and the lube were probably under $10 total.
                        Where have you been purchasing these at? I looked around last weekend in a couple of stores where I usually purchase my welding supplies and never noticed anything for this use.

Comment

National Welders here in Raleigh is where I got the felt pieces. I think they have branches throughout the US (major cities). national Welders have a website but it isn't the best (mostly fluff to me). You still have to buy it locally. No internet orders. Having said that though, the local place treats me super, they spend time putting up with me (a home hobbiest), answering questions, etc when I am just contemplating buying something. Bought a Lincoln 200 MIG from them. I understand there is a BIG natl welders catalog but I don't have one and haven't pursued how to go about getting one.

Comment

clean is good

Over the last 20 years in the rental business, I have found that after a rental I would remove the gun from the feeder and use brake parts cleaner and follow up with compressed air to blow out the liner. You would not belive the junk that comes out. The felt wiper or ear plugs do work great to catch the junk. PS I pull the liner out of the gun lead because the brake parts cleaner will soften some of the plastic used in many feeder guns. After reassembly I test weld all units. If the liner dose not get kincked it will last a long time.
                            XMT 300CC/CV (yes it still works)
                            Bobcat 225, Hobart Hefty CC/CV wire feeder, Profax spool gun,Victor & Smith O/A, Lincoln Tombstone(sold), Airco HF box (old Miller) MM175, IR 4KW gen set,all paid for, all work. My newest addition MM130 salvaged from a Kitrina flood area. Cleaned up and works great. . Just added a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, total cost to repair both less than $200.00, they both work great...another Katrina cast off.

Comment

Here is a sitr for wire cleaners I found. it is at

http://www.weldaid.com/

Don't know if it works or anything about it. Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X