Plasma Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Cutters

I JUST PURCHASED THE CHAMPION 10,000WELDER FOR MY HUSBAND, NOW HE INFORMED ME HE ALSO WANTS A PLASMA CUTTER. WHICH ONE IS THE BEST? I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE AIRFORCE 250A. NEED SOME INPUT FROM A MALE WHO KNOWS

Re: Plasma Cutters

Originally posted by MEANMOM
    I JUST PURCHASED THE CHAMPION 10,000WELDER FOR MY HUSBAND, NOW HE INFORMED ME HE ALSO WANTS A PLASMA CUTTER. WHICH ONE IS THE BEST? I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE AIRFORCE 250A. NEED SOME INPUT FROM A MALE WHO KNOWS
    You seem to hardly be a 'meanmom' to be buying your hubby a Champ 10k! Do they have any more, where you came from???

I think a compatible unit for the 10k would be an Airforce 400. The downside being you have to have an external air source for it, the upside is, it cuts better.

Your call.

Comment

THANKS ROCKY D. THAT IS WHY I WAS ASKING, BECAUSE I THOUGHT MAYBE THE 250A WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER BECAUSE IT HAS THE AIR COMPRESSOR BUILT IN. BUT I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE INTO CONSIDERATION. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

Comment

More plasma questions

Rocky D
        What can you tell me about the Miller Spectrum 625. It's on special right now but I hesitate because of some confusion on my part. In the manual they do not talk much about setting it up other than to set air pressure to 75 PSI for cutting or 55 PSI for gouging. The manual also suggests setting the amperage control to 35 amps for extended tip use and to use the torch travel speed to obtain a proper cut. The curve provided ( cutting speed vs thickness) 1/4" through 5/8" looks doable 50"min to 10" min but.. 16 ga through 1/8" is 400"/min to 200"/min.Ref manual page 17 and page 32. What are the true recommended thickness limits of this machine. I really can't afford 2 machines and need to find a good compromise if one exists. I asked the question once before but didn't get an answer.
        Thanks
        Harold
        Craftsman Colormatic AC
        Victor Journyman Setup
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        MM210 With Spoolgun
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
        Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Re: More plasma questions

Originally posted by harold
          Rocky D
          What can you tell me about the Miller Spectrum 625. It's on special right now but I hesitate because of some confusion on my part. In the manual they do not talk much about setting it up other than to set air pressure to 75 PSI for cutting or 55 PSI for gouging. The manual also suggests setting the amperage control to 35 amps for extended tip use and to use the torch travel speed to obtain a proper cut. The curve provided ( cutting speed vs thickness) 1/4" through 5/8" looks doable 50"min to 10" min but.. 16 ga through 1/8" is 400"/min to 200"/min.Ref manual page 17 and page 32. What are the true recommended thickness limits of this machine. I really can't afford 2 machines and need to find a good compromise if one exists. I asked the question once before but didn't get an answer.
          Thanks
          The only units I have used are the Spectrum Thunder, and the 3080. However, I notice that when they specify the maximum thickness it will cut, it is quite difficult to do it by hand...it may do it, but it will be choppy. That's my experience with it. I have a heavy pipe project coming up over the Christmas shutdown, where I will be using my 3080 a lot, to do some fairly precision work, so I'll be learning more then. The important thing while cutting with plasma, is to be sure your flame is straight through the material from the torch, any deviation to the side, back or front will give you a slag heavy cut. That's when you change tips.

Comment

Harold,

You dont have to worry about that cutter. You can cut sheetmetal with the high current setting or the low. The only time that you need to turn down the power is when you have a problem with not enough input power or when the extra current(heat) may distort what you are cutting.

Comment

gas plasma

Tnx Rocky D and BugEyedValiant
              Think I'll bite the bullet and order it today; that should fill up my toy box (at least as much as I can afford or momma will let me buy). Will keep you posted on my results
              Thanks again and merry christmas to all
              Harold
              Craftsman Colormatic AC
              Victor Journyman Setup
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              MM210 With Spoolgun
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
              Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Working...
              X