Plasma cutter accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma cutter accessories?

I picked up a Spectrum 375 Cutmate a couple months ago and have been thoroughly engoying my new toy; it's like the kindergarten teacher just gave me scissors to go with my glue (MIG). What were previously lengthy ordeals with sawzalls, grinders, and/or torches have now become incidental tasks.

But now that I've become a little more used to it, the quality of the cuts aren't what I would expect them to be. I attribute this to mainly my shaky hand. I've tried using cutting guides (angle iron). It will give me a straight cut, but in the depth of the material (1/4" is generally about as thick as I get) I get fluctuations as the angle of the torch relative to the material changes.

So the question: do any available accessories help with this, and are they worth the price? Any alternatives anybody can recommend? I was also considering the circle-cutting accesory, anybody have thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance....
    It's all fun and games until somebody gets shot in the leg. -- Armageddon

Partical board templats works good.
    Anything you see for sale such as roller guides or circle cutting attachments can be made easly ot of sheet metal with tabs draged on work to maintain stand off or slealed bearings as wheels.

Under projects sections of this message board I posted link for 43 ft steel boat building. They built a 4 wheel car for their plasma cutter nozzle and shown picture of it within first 50 days.

Comment

Concerning templates....Even 1/4" plywood makes good templates if you only have to use it a few times. On sheetmetal I even use cardboard. You can cut if fast (the cardboard) with scissors for a smooth edge. Heck I have even used cardboard on 1/4" sometimes. Just have to watch out about it catching fire and not noticing it.

BTW I too have the problem with clean smooth, cuts in 1/8" to 1/4. I think my main problem is I'm not taking the time to practice with the torch and just jump in and cut. Have also noticed that as the hole in the tip wears bigger it gets worse and worse.

Comment

Re: Plasma cutter accessories?

Originally posted by bluesman2a
        I picked up a Spectrum 375 Cutmate a couple months ago and have been thoroughly engoying my new toy; it's like the kindergarten teacher just gave me scissors to go with my glue (MIG). What were previously lengthy ordeals with sawzalls, grinders, and/or torches have now become incidental tasks.

But now that I've become a little more used to it, the quality of the cuts aren't what I would expect them to be. I attribute this to mainly my shaky hand. I've tried using cutting guides (angle iron). It will give me a straight cut, but in the depth of the material (1/4" is generally about as thick as I get) I get fluctuations as the angle of the torch relative to the material changes.

So the question: do any available accessories help with this, and are they worth the price? Any alternatives anybody can recommend? I was also considering the circle-cutting accesory, anybody have thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance....
        Bluesman. Now that you have had your cutmate 374 for awhile how do you like it. Have you tried cutting with a stand off yet?

Bob
        Short Term Memory GONE!!
        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Hey Bob,

No, I haven't gotten the stand-off yet. Most of my cutting is drag-cutting. Right now I'm in the middle of several projects critical to get my Jeep up and running so I haven't been able to do as much experimentation as I would like of late. I know this thing will do better if I get the hang of it.

But I think you have a good question here and in your other thread. I too would be interested in the answers.
          It's all fun and games until somebody gets shot in the leg. -- Armageddon

Comment

Bluesman,
            I've had my 375 for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it. I purchased the Miller circle cutting jig with the cutter and have used it maybe once or twice. My biggest gripe with it is the center pivot. The hole for the guide pin is offset and it takes some work to try and get the thing to work right.
            If your going to be cutting irregular shapes, I'd go ahead and use a template. Just remember to add 1/2" on all sides. That's the distance from the edge of the insulator to the center of the jet. Kerf varies depending on drag or standoff.

Andy
            Navy Bomb Disposal-It's a BLAST!!

Comment

Andy, thanks for the heads up on the circle guide. I had that figured into my budget to purchase. I wonder if there is another style out there that someone else makes that does't have that offset.

Bob
              Short Term Memory GONE!!
              Hobby Weldor/Machinist
              Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Accessories

Bob, The Standoff Roller Guide is a nice little tool for only twenty bucks. I agree with andybaran about the pivot on the roller guide, but if you can afford it the Suction/Magnetic Pivot Base may be the solution. It’s a strong magnet.

Comment

Dan, thanks I will look into that.

Bob
                  Short Term Memory GONE!!
                  Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                  Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

I have been thinking about make a template with a number of holes that will allow me to use the plasma cutter to cut smaller holes 1/4" to 3" or so. I always seems get my drill flying through the workshop when I attempt to cut metal.

Comment

Working...
                    X