Miller Blue Star 6000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Blue Star 6000

Can anyone comment on this welder? I used to have a Lincoln Ranger 8, but found that it was not as portable as would have liked. I thought I may get an engine driven welder and a MM175, that way I would have both processes, stick and wire feed, portability, and a generator to boot. I would think that 180 amps of DC would be enough. Is there any reason I should get something with AC on it also? It would be used for farm repairs/fabrication.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

The Blue star 6000 will give you the 6000 watts of aux power which is enough to run the Handler 175. Dc weld output is alot easier to weld with and you can do more out of posistion welding with DC. Did you know the Hobart equivlent to this is the Champ 2060 which gives you the same output and aux power.
    Thanks
    Dave Evans

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did know that Hobart has the same thing, but the only way you can get it from Cyberweld is with electric start. This is another reason I ditched the Ranger 8, it seemed like everytime I needed it, the battery was dead. I might have welding projects every week for a couple of months then not have any for 6 months at which time I would have a dead battery. I think I would like to stick with recoil start if I could.

Another thing, how does the MM175 compare with the HH175, also the MM210 with the Ironman210? I am still up in the air about this. A lot of it depends on what the financial committtee will approve (the wife).

If you could only have ONE welder (under $1500) what would it be?

Thanks again,
      Mike

Comment

HH175>MM175...Hobart Ironman210..MM210

Mike:
        The HH175 and the MM175 differs only in the voltage settings.
        The HH175 has "Tap Settings" for voltage control whereas the MM175 has "Infinite" voltage settings. Of course...The wrapper color is different.

The same holds true with the Hobart Ironman 210 and the MM210. The Hobart Ironman 210 has "Tap Settings" for voltage settings and the MM210 has "Infinite" voltage settings.

If I am not mistaken...For aluminum use...There are different spool guns for each machine.

If I could have only one welder, For under 1500.00, (And I am taking it that you mean only a mig welder) I would choose the
        MM175. You can not only use it in the shop but its light enough to take into the field and use with an engine driven welder.
        If the mig welder would be for in shop use only then I would go with the MM210. Not sure what the price would be but if it is under 1500.00 that would be my choice.
        I Hope this helps
        Tim

Comment

hi mike.......about the only time you would need any ac around the farm is if you were going to do some aluminum tig or if very thick then you would want to use a large stick welder capable of ac..........The miller matic 210 vs the hobart 210 is different......more options available for the mm210.......ALSO CONSIDER THIS AROUND THE FARM I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN 6000 WATTS STAND BY GENERATING POWER. A FURNACE (HOUSE) AND A STOVE , REFRIGERATOR, ETC. WOULD CONSUME THE 6000 WATTS PRETTY FAST...........BUT THIS IS YOUR CALL...................ROCK......SSCOTT@MILLERWELD S.COM

Comment

Mike
            In most cases the Hobart line is a heavy duty home owner machine. Where as the Miller line is designed more for industrial applications. This isn t always true though . An example is my Miller Econotig and theHobart Tigmate they are the same machine with just a different paint job.

Between the Ironman 210 and the MM210 , the MM 210 is the far superior machine. The MM 210 gives you about twice the duty cycle, has a better drive roll system, and a heavier duty gun. The drive roll system and gun that are on the MM 210 are used on the MM 251. The Ironman 210 and the MM 210 both have voltage tap selections. The Ironman 210 has six selections, and the MM 210 has seven selections.

The HH 175 and the MM 175 have slight differences between them. The biggest difference being voltage selection. The HH 175 has 4 taps, and the MM 175 has a variable pot. However, one of my MIG machines is a HH 175 , and I have had no problem tuning the weld bead in for 16 ga. sheet metal or 3/16 thick material in a flat, vertical or overhead position. I personally feel that on this size of machine, that is intended more for the home hobbiest novice weldor, that the tapped voltage selection that is available on the HH 175 is a better option then having the variable pot. It basically, simplfies the machine, which amounts to fewer ways of messing up the weld bead.

For under $1500, and strictly a MIG machine, I would go with either a
            Hobart Ironman 250 or a MM 210 . Another one of my MIG machines is the MM 210 , this is an excellent machine. I would have went with the Ironman 250 , but at the time Miller was offering the MM 210 with a FREE spool gun. Plus, the fact that the accounting department (wife) was on me about the extra cost.

However, I personally would go with a machine or machines that gave me multiple processes. I guess you might be able to do what I have done. Which is, buy the best SMAW machine that you can afford one year then the next year get the best GMAW machine and then the next year get the best GTAW machine.

However, If I had to choose just one machine for under $1500. I would probably go with an Econotig , Tigmate , or a Syncrowave 180 . The Syncrowave 180 would be my first choice.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Mike one more thing for you to think about. The Champs 2060 has the backup pull start built in also as does the Blue Star 6000. I believe the others have answered you 210 and 175 questions. As Rock said now it is up to you. Your money your choice.
              Thanks
              Dave Evans

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the info! Lots to think about.

6Kw is plenty big enough of a generator for me. I don't worry about power outages. I only live about 6-8 line miles from the substation and I am a lineman for the power company, so guess whos' electric gets back on first . Besides that, like I told my wife, if the electrics off, I won't be home anyway . The generator would be used for remote power to run tools and such.

As far as the welders go, I have a better understanding but it has made my decision harder. I understand the attributes of multiple processes but know nothing about TIG (yet), very little about SMAW, although I can get by OK, and even less about GMAW. I need something that even a novice like me can get by with untill I can get some formal instruction. My welding projects range from sheet metal (like exhaust systems and auto body) to occasional 1/4" and 3/8" but mostly 1/4" and less like C channel and pipe.

I really hate to be a pain but I sure do appreciate all of the advice. I know I have asked you all some of these questions before. If nothing else I have learned a little something.

Thanks again. Now I need to make a decision and appeal to the financial committtee.
                Mike

Comment

I've had a BS-6000 for 19 years. Its one of the most reliable things ive ever owned. It burns all size and type of rods well. It has a very smooth scratch start tig arc.zero maintenance with regular oil changes. Very powerfull when i burn fat 6010 yet delicate when i need. Fine tunable on tig

Comment

Working...
                  X