Thunderbolt 225V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt 225V

Ok, what is wrong with my stick welder? The unit hums and it seems like the fan is running but when I try to strike an arc, nothing happens. No output. Then when I switch it off there is a pretty noticeable flash inside the case. Is that normal? This is a used welder I picked up to play around with. Any thoughts?

Maybe the diodes or capacitor are shorted. Is this an ac/dc type? Any voltage at the leads at all?
    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

A long distance diagnosis is always pretty iffy but it sounds as if the secondary is shorted and the big flash you see is the input line breaking contact.
      Normally, when a welder is shut off, the current going in is quite small, and no flash results when the circuit is broken.
      However, when a circuit is broken which is carring a lot of current, a large flash will result.
      Open up the case and look for any place where the output lines could have worn through the insulation.
      Good luck.
      work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Re: Thunderbolt 225V

Originally posted by skyboss
        Ok, what is wrong with my stick welder? The unit hums and it seems like the fan is running but when I try to strike an arc, nothing happens. No output. Then when I switch it off there is a pretty noticeable flash inside the case. Is that normal? This is a used welder I picked up to play around with. Any thoughts?
        Skyboss, I would agree with Ed's diagnostic; you have a short on the secondary side. You can still get parts, even the seconday windings. Once you have checked the wiring as Ed suggested, you could also verify the receptacles; they should be isolated from the case. Here's a link to the Thunderbolt 225 manual (not sure what the difference is with the 225V).

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/0100/o116j_mil.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X