Miller Plasma cutter (HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Plasma cutter (HELP)

The new 625 Plasma cutter looked like something I should have. Downloaded the manual ( and read it ) and was ready to tell my local dealer to order it for me; but then a question came up on the message board that made me think it over again.
    The problem is I mostly want to cut quarter and three eights plate with an occasional half inch. Then the culverts, 55 gal drums and 1/8 " material for the sea cargo containers a broad range I know but... Nowhere in the manual could I find if you can adjust the current for different thicknesses of material. The front panel layout appears to be adjustable but it doesnt say so, then there is that bloody curve of cutting speed versus metal thickness showing light guage at 400"/min and the other end of the curve with 1/2" at a more resonable 10" /minuite. the note attached to the table says for satisfactory results cutting speed should be close to the curve line. I would think there should be a family of curves with a different curve for different currents if it is adjustable . What am I missing or what is the soluction.
    Love my MM210 and SD180 wouldn"t want to order this special xmas deal and then be disappointed.
    Thanks
    Harold
    Craftsman Colormatic AC
    Victor Journyman Setup
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM210 With Spoolgun
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
    Miller HD Tape Measure

I got the Hpyertherm 190c about a week ago and love it. I know it not even close to the size you are talking about but I like the fact that it is so portable. Anyway, the point Iam trying to make is that i love it. It cuts everything I have thrown at it. I cuts 1/8 " like butter and I have even cut 3/8 " with it. I know that it is not designed for this thick matterial but its nice to know that it can. So, if you thinking about the 625 Miller, Iam sure you will be very happy with it.

Not sure about the adjustability of the current that you mentioned, I know on the 190c, it just turns on and you pull the trigger. On the higher units, they had adjustments for the air flow but not curent. Hope this helps some.
    Thanks
    Gary Wolboldt

Comment

Harold,

I was just out looking at Millers web site and that is one cool plasma cutter. I know there are several people here that have the model 300 series and sounds like they are very happy with it. Iam sure from my experience with the 190c hypetherm that i got recently, the performance of the machines are underrated by the makers. I sure you would be able to cut almost anything that you would be building. Good luck!
      Thanks
      Gary Wolboldt

Comment

Miller 625 Plazma

I got mine from Cyberweld about a week ago, and would you believe, I haven't used it yet! My shop is full of shavings from a big Xmas woodworking project, so no welding or cutting inside right now. Ten degrees below this morning, so I'm not working outside either! Sure do wish I had room for a dedicated welding shop.
        Just got some disposable dessicant driers from Graingers, so I'm ready to start cutting some Turbo flanges for my LandCruiser diesel project as soon as I get my Santa projects completed.
        In regard to amp settings, I think I saw something in the manual about using the lowest setting that will blow through the stock you are cutting at the speed you want to cut. There is probably a balance between stock thickness/cutting speed/amperage that needs to be learned. I'm sure that after some user time you will get get a handle on it.
        Cheers,
        moT
        moT

Comment

Re: Miller Plasma cutter (HELP)

Originally posted by harold
          The new 625 Plasma cutter looked like something I should have. Downloaded the manual ( and read it ) and was ready to tell my local dealer to order it for me; but then a question came up on the message board that made me think it over again.
          The problem is I mostly want to cut quarter and three eights plate with an occasional half inch. Then the culverts, 55 gal drums and 1/8 " material for the sea cargo containers a broad range I know but... Nowhere in the manual could I find if you can adjust the current for different thicknesses of material. The front panel layout appears to be adjustable but it doesnt say so, then there is that bloody curve of cutting speed versus metal thickness showing light guage at 400"/min and the other end of the curve with 1/2" at a more resonable 10" /minuite. the note attached to the table says for satisfactory results cutting speed should be close to the curve line. I would think there should be a family of curves with a different curve for different currents if it is adjustable . What am I missing or what is the soluction.
          Love my MM210 and SD180 wouldn"t want to order this special xmas deal and then be disappointed.
          Thanks
          Harold,

Miller is giving you the rate of cut for each material thickness if the machines output current was set at 40 amps. For 16 ga to 3/16" material (mild steel) I would set the machine around 20 to 25 amps this would give you a much more controllable rate to complete your cut.

Also, if you want to feel more secure about the machine, E mail DanV . He is the Miller/Hobart plasma person who answers questions on this board.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
          X