Tig with a stick welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig with a stick welder?

Did I read somewhere that someone makes a TIG torch that hooks up to a standard stick welder? I could have sworn I read that. Am I nuts? Ummm, wait, let me rephrase, am I incorrect? If not, where can you get one, what else would you need, and I assume it would have limitations over a real tig machine, so what are the drawbacks?
    Justin
    If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

nitsuj,

Try a search. There has been much discussion on this. I even have one on an engine drive.

Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

I have one rigged up complete with high freq and a foot control. I think I have posted most of the info here.
      What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Yeah, it's possible. www.tigdepot.com has a few kits for similar stuff. It seems like the biggest drawbacks would be a lack of amperage control with just the torch n stuff, and on some kits it doesn't seem like you get as wide a range of amperage either. Although I could be wrong. I know of a few people on here that have the Dialarc with an HF box and TIG stuff and absolutely love it though. May be worth looking into if you already own the stick machine.
        Lean Mean TIGing Machine!
        Lincoln Squarewave 175

Comment

To be a little more detailed, i just re-read your question. You can hook a torch with a gas valve on it straight up to a stick powersource I believe. Just make sure it's on DCEN for steel and hook up a bottle of straight argon and you can do some TIG welding, but hooking up this way leaves you without remote amperage control and to start the arc, you have to scratch the tungsten across the work piece. If you have more questions, put em up and we'll answer em!
          Lincoln Squarewave 175

Comment

Well, that shuts me down. My stick machine is AC only, and from the looks, it wouldn't really be worth the trouble. I guess I'll just wait until I can afford a dedicated tig machine. I need to concentrate on my mig anyhow...
            Justin

Comment

I posted a schematic for an scr control to vary the 220 input to the welder using a foot control. To get dc is easy, just add a full wave rectifier.

Comment

By the time I do that, will I have too much money into it to make it worth it?
                Justin

Comment

I'm not sure how much it would cost for the rectifier stuff to get DC out of your machine. I do know you can use it in AC to weld aluminum and magnesium with the addition of a High Freq. box. I'm not positive about the cost of a high freq. unit, but I think it is safe to say around $500-$600 bucks. The cheaper one on Millers webpage is about $800, but that's the list price, so I would imagine you could get it for cheaper at the welding shop. I'm not sure if you can hook a foot/hand control straight up to the unit or not though. If so, those are about $140 or so at one of the sites I go to. Then you would need a little aircooled torch. (assuming your machine is a 225 amp or so buzzbox) A 125 amp torch will run about $70, maybe more maybe less. Hope this can give you a rough idea of cost to do it this way vs. cost of a TIG machine. Make sure to remember this is just a few prices I whipped up really fast online. Oh, almost forgot, if you can get DC out of it cheaply, all you need is the torch! You can buy the foot control too, it just depends on if you just wanna play with the TIG process or be really accurate with it.
                  Last edited by customwelds; 01-06-2004, 08:19 AM.
                  Lincoln Squarewave 175

Comment

Originally posted by Mike W
                    I posted a schematic for an scr control to vary the 220 input to the welder using a foot control. To get dc is easy, just add a full wave rectifier.
                    Hi Mike:

I am currently using my stick welder with TIG, but lack a remote current control. ( I added a gas solenoid and also a contactor for the transformer).

If you don't mind, would you please post a parts list to go with the schematic, I just don't want to end up with the wrong parts !
                    (Or better yet, links to Mourser.com or wherever)

Thanks,

Brent
                    Last edited by Steel Butcher; 01-06-2004, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Let me do some research. If I was doing it from scratch, I would use a triac instead of the scrs. I just happened to have them. Look for a triac that will handle the max input current for your welder plus a safety factor.....50%?

www.discovercircuits.com has a lot of dimmer circuits that would work with the right size triac. The voltage rating is also important. I will be back on that. The triac also needs to be mounted on a good heat sink.

Comment

Thanks Mike. FYI my welder is rated at 240V, 20Amps.

I am pretty adept at soldering, etc. but am lost as far as circuit design. (I made a few ham rigs years ago)

I was thinking that I would use a slide pot for the control, I can see how you would have wanted to use parts that you had laying around, though !

Comment

I will post a pic of my foot control. I am planning on making one to go on the torch with a switch so I can use one or the other.

Comment

me too !!!!!

Mike,

I've been reading over you guys shoulder and this is what I"m interested in also.

I have a Lincoln 225 ac/dc stick machine and a friend gave me the torch set up... but before he could train me on setup and use... he left town on another job... any details would be appreciated as far as settings, hookup and details on foot control,etc...

I'm still dumb enough to think I can do this... maybe as I get smarter I'll understand what's involved...

thanks... John
                            My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X