New Machine Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Machine Q's

I am saving up for a new machine. I would like a TIG, but I don't know if I want to spring for that kind of money right now. I am also thinking of a bigger MIG, something that will handle some aluminum work, and achieve spray transfer mode. Big question is...What is the best amp rated machine to get spray transfer?
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Re: New Machine Q's

Originally posted by Arbo
    I am saving up for a new machine. I would like a TIG, but I don't know if I want to spring for that kind of money right now. I am also thinking of a bigger MIG, something that will handle some aluminum work, and achieve spray transfer mode. Big question is...What is the best amp rated machine to get spray transfer?
    Arbo,

A good MIG like a MM 251 that will produce spray transfer is going to cost a couple hundred dollars more then a TIG machine like a Syncrowave 180. Then your looking at another $400 to $800 at least if you want to add a spool gun for welding alumunum. With the MIG aluminum below 3/16" is difficult, I would much rather TIG 1/8" aluminum.

Now, if I remember right your current wire feed unit is a Lincoln sp 125. A major step up for you would be a MM 210. Now, I m not certain but I think it is capable of producing spray transfer spray transfer with an .030 wire. Im attaching a picture of sample that weld that I ran on 1/4" material with my MM 210 using .030 wire and C25. The transfer wanted to be spray, but I need the proper shielding gas mixture. I plan on testing this with the proper gas in the near future. Just have to wait and see. However, I know the MM 210 will run an .035
    all position gas shielded fluxcore wire. The depth of penetration on this wire is similar to spray transfer. The big advantage to this is it gives you the ability to weld out of position. Plus, C25 or CO 2 are the normal shielding gases used with the wire. Which would mean you would only need one gas to run this wire or run short arc or globular transfer with solid wire. By the way, the penetration on the same weld that I ran was very good you could see the weld bead burning into the legs of the T joint just like a true spray transfer weld would.

As far as TIG welder goes, for the home hobbiest weldor there is nothing wrong with an Econotig/Tigmate if it is all that a persons budget will allow. As I have previously stated the Econotig is all the accounting department in my home would approve, and I am happy with it. Most of what I TIG though is 1/8" mild steel and stainless steel. The Econtig/Tigmate will produce a quality weld on aluminum too. 1/8" aluminum is about the maximum thickness, maybe 3/16 with a pre heat. However,you have to be careful on how much you preheat certain series of aluminum.

Well, I think I ve answered your question , and then some. I know sometimes I get carried away with the amount of info that I give you guys. I hope it doesn t bother any of you

Dan
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

DAN.....WHAT YOU GIVE OUT TO MUCH INFO.....NOT YORU AND ROCKY D OR MIKE SHERMAN.....WELL WAIT MIKE HAS BEEN OUT RIDING NOW HASN'T HE..............ARBO.....HEY LET US KNOW WHT YOUR BUDGET ALLOWED YOU TO PURCHASE..............ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X