Miller Syncrowave 180 Sd Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Syncrowave 180 Sd Digital

I have a couple of questions about tig torches & water coolers.

First: I can't seem to find any information pertaining to a tig torch cooler for the syncrowave 180 sd digital. Does this machine only use air cooled torches or can a water cooled torches be installed & used on this machine.

Second: What are the Pros & Cons to air cooled & water cooled tig torches.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Water cooled torch is smaller than air cooled torch for same amp capasity.

Comment

Re: Miller Syncrowave 180 Sd Digital

Originally posted by rangerod
      I have a couple of questions about tig torches & water coolers.

First: I can't seem to find any information pertaining to a tig torch cooler for the syncrowave 180 sd digital. Does this machine only use air cooled torches or can a water cooled torches be installed & used on this machine.

Second: What are the Pros & Cons to air cooled & water cooled tig torches.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Miller makes several water coolers for those machines that don't have them built in.

As for the water cooled torches, they are more flexible, since the cable is cooled by water it is smaller. We prefer water cooled torches where I work. They're easier on the wrist...they don't fight your hand.

Comment

Yes you can hook up a water cooled torch to that unit. You have to have a special Dinse adaptor that is Miller part #194721 I think. It is kind of expensive but it works well...I have one.

Comment

I was kicking around the idea of the water cooled torches. I have absolutely no experience with TIG applications, but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to build a cooler. I was thinking of an automotive heater coil, a small fan, and a small water pump. Seems like it would be alot cheaper than the water coolers that I have seen. Chime in guys...Will it work?
          Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
          The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
            I was kicking around the idea of the water cooled torches. I have absolutely no experience with TIG applications, but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to build a cooler. I was thinking of an automotive heater coil, a small fan, and a small water pump. Seems like it would be alot cheaper than the water coolers that I have seen. Chime in guys...Will it work?
            Sounds good to me! try it!

Comment

Air Cooled TIG Torch

With an air cooled torch would there be any time you would have to let it rest due to overheating?
              Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Air Cooled TIG Torch

Originally posted by rangerod
                With an air cooled torch would there be any time you would have to let it rest due to overheating?
                Air-cooled TIG torches have a 100% duty cycle at there maximum rated amperage. For example, a 125 amp air-cooled torch has a 100% duty cycle at 125 amps. Now it is recommended not to exceed the maximum recommended amperage for the torch. However, I have to confess, that I have used the 125 amp air-cooled torch that came factory installed on our Lincoln Squarewave 175 at current settings (150 amps) beyond the 125 amp rating. We have a 150 amp torch for it too, but the job at the time required the use of the smaller torch to reach into the area. Since this time, I have developed a bad habit and probably use it more often than I should this way. As a matter of fact some of welds that I posted recently that were produced on 3/16" mild steel were done with this torch at 150-160 amps. To be honest with you the torch never does get hot. Well, I should state that it doesn t get hot enough to feel any heat through the TIG gloves that I wear. Now by no means am I telling you to use the torch this way. Actually, probably 95%+ of my TIG welding is performed at 115 amps or less, so this smaller torch generally meets my needs within the recommended range.

Also, I personally have wondered why if the torch manufacture recommends that you do not exceed the amperage rating of the torch, why does Miller equip a 180 amp machine with a 150 amp torch, and Lincoln equip a 175 amp machine with a 125 amp torch?
                MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Air Cooled TIG Torch

Thanks for all the info I definately have a better understanding of water & air cooled TIG torches.
                  Rangerod

Comment

Arbo the pump you will need is a Carbonator pump most pumps I have been told wont work they don’t have enough constant presser and you can boil the water in the lines the pumps will cost about 90 to $100 I have more information on the pumps if you are interested or you can go to the link below and search the forum for COOLER a granger part# 7P089 $189.00 with motor that is what I'm going to use with 3 gallons of RV antifreeze good luck

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...oining.welding

Comment

Working...
                    X