HF unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF unit

What is the alternative to a HF stabilizer for the poor man that really can't afford to go with a TIG?

Any DC welder can easily be used for GTAW of carbon or stainless steel. A bottle of Argon, a flow meter, a tig torch with a knob or lever for gas flow and a brass lug to connect your lead to and you are in business. It only takes a little practice to know where to set your amperage, a hint here, start low! Good luck. I have used this set for years as an emergency back up to my more expensive machines. When I go out to a tig job I always take the old set up. It has saved me a few times.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Comment

Hey Mike, what about using the HF unit for aluminum? I know it may not be the preferred method but can I get the job done with it? Used stick welders can be picked up pretty cheap $50 to $100 and a small Dayton or Century HF Stabilizer goes for about $250. That only leaves the tig torch. A pretty inexpensive setup when you compare it to a tig welder costing about $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by skyboss
        Hey Mike, what about using the HF unit for aluminum? I know it may not be the preferred method but can I get the job done with it? Used stick welders can be picked up pretty cheap $50 to $100 and a small Dayton or Century HF Stabilizer goes for about $250. That only leaves the tig torch. A pretty inexpensive setup when you compare it to a tig welder costing about $1500.
        Skyboss

It is possible but very difficult since aluminum is so heat sensitive. Finding the proper amperage is very difficult. Having to abruptly break the arc at the end of the weld bead can potentially cause the crater to crack.

Personally, I feel you would be better off looking around for a used Econotig or Tigmate. You should be able to find one for around $700 to $800 if your patient. Or if your local welding supply store has a decent salesperson they might make you a good deal on a new machine. The guy I deal with sold me my Econotig for $1040. Not bad considering most places that I see on the internet want around $1175, and this includes Cyberweld. An Econotig will weld 1/8" aluminum, and potentially 3/16" with a good preheat. Not much in line of duty cycle for 3/16 aluminum.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
        X