Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat for MIG Wire

Hey All:

Usually i buy the same welding wire [century brand] and have never really paid much attention to the Heat number on the package. the other day, i bought a different brand - cant remember what it was off the top of my head - from my gas supplier. this wire has a different heat number on it.

i cant quote you the numbers right now - they're in my shop.
    but basically i would like to know what the 'heat" means for the wire.

Thanks
    -Outraged

Re: Heat for MIG Wire

Originally posted by outraged
    Hey All:

Usually i buy the same welding wire [century brand] and have never really paid much attention to the Heat number on the package. the other day, i bought a different brand - cant remember what it was off the top of my head - from my gas supplier. this wire has a different heat number on it.

i cant quote you the numbers right now - they're in my shop.
    but basically i would like to know what the 'heat" means for the wire.

Thanks
    -Outraged
    All metal has a "heat Number"...never got a good answer to what it meant... I never paid any attention to it. It has to do with the mill it was produced at, but I don't think it has any meaning for the end user. Maybe someone out there has researched it further than I did.

Comment

Hey Outraged,
      The "Heat Number" is used for traceability of materials and process at which the product was made by. Heat numbers are use in places that require traceability of everything that is used to build things with. Such as Nuclear Power Plants. The paper trail on materials for these plants are amazingly HUGE. They are also used if the Mill has a recall on their product.

Maybe this article can explain it better than I can:

http://www.nbm-houston.com/foundry.html

about 2/3 to 3/4 down in the article it tells you when the heat number is assigned.
      Hope this helps.

H'Rat
      Gary

If I Can't Fix It! It Must Not Be Broken.
      http://www.garysgarage.net

Comment

Alrighty Then....

Thanks guys,

i guess that means that it really doesnt matter what the number means. at least to me. the only paper trail i leave is the wrapping off the wire spool.

-Outraged

Comment

Working...
        X