Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YO Mowjunk

Mowjunk,

You've got me thinking about that 180SD. I really want to get into a nice TIG machine. I am somewhat concerned about required input power though. I looked at the spec sheet online and saw that it requires 68 amps on 208V I would have to dig a ditch from the house to the shop to lay new 6 GA wire to run that kind of current. What amp breaker are you running yours on? Please give me some good news.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Well, I had #6 wire with a 50 amp breaker and 230v. I saw you mentioned 208v in your post. I fired it up on that and did some stick welding with it with no problem. But once when I did turn it on, it tripped the breaker. I looked at the specs and saw that it drew 54 amps at full welding current. It also said to use a 60 amp time delay or 80 amp normal operating breaker. I opted for the 60 amp. I have tried to make it trip again but it never has. I'm going to leave it at that unless it trips again. I really think it would work with a 50 amp time delay also. It tripped right when I turned it on but never in use.

Hope that this helps you out. I used it tonight for it's first tig weld. And mine also. A lot of new stuff to get used to and a lot of mistakes to make. I think I made them all tonight... and I'm not finished, either.....

But I was having fun and for me, that's all that matters!

By the way, if you downloaded the new manual from Miller, it's on page 15.

Comment

Mowjunk,

I just downloaded the manual this morning after you mentioned it. I didn't realize that the whole manual was there. It has alot of great info to help me make a decision. I need to save some loose change though before I rush out and buy one. I think Mama might have something to say about it. I have to make a little money with what I have now, and keep it hidden. Keep us posted on how it's working out for you.

Thanks
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
      The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Hey Arbo, I know what you mean about the money. By the time I bought extra tungstens and a bottle, I had to make a deal with Mama that I'll be paying back for a loooong time.

I plan to practice with it again this afternoon and hopefully get some sorry looking beads on the website tonight. Good luck with your savings plan!

Comment

Working...
        X